[Releasing] ODP: rethinking the branching scheme

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Mon Feb 24 21:23:44 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 07:18:05AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em seg 24 fev 2014, às 08:07:13, Ziller Eike escreveu:
> > The dev -> stable merge degrades the quality of what is in the stable branch
> > drastically. So if you track stable, the quality of what you track can vary
> > greatly. I suppose that is what Ossi means. With the current branching
> > scheme you cannot track something that only gets “more stable”.
>
> But that removes the branch that is "stable enough". In the past year and a
> half, I've tracked dev for less than 2 months in total. Everything else I do
> is on top of stable, even if it gets submitted to dev.

you can do the same with more branches. the one downside is that you
need to keep a merge on top if you want to use both the changes based on
an older and a newer branch at the same time.

> Now, I can easily change branches, but it's a task I currently don't have. My
> point is that there probably are other people out there who benefit from having
> this branch too.

most people developing for dev actually do it *on* dev.
also, i think it's a pretty safe bet that *no-one* else has a backlog of
anything near 100 local patches. ;)
nobody else can track that amount of patches. nobody can even use your
script (which is the reason why i didn't want it in the current form -
it's way too plumbing-level to be of any use to mere mortals. heck, even
you occasionally botch it).