[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 23.06.2014

Heikkinen Jani Jani.Heikkinen at digia.com
Tue Jun 24 08:20:34 CEST 2014

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 23.06.2014

-        Qt 5.3.1 release

o   Qt content ready, all blockers fixed

o   Final packages has been under testing since last Friday, no new blockers found

§  Some updates to change files after freezing the content. Agreed not to update the content anymore

·        Updating content at this point would cause unnecessary delay to the release

·        Updates can be seen via links in https://qt-project.org/wiki/Change-files-in-Qt-5.3.1 but not in official src packages

o   Target is to put Qt 5.3.1 out this Wednesday, 25th Jun

-        5.4.0 schedule

o   Feature freeze 8th Aug 2014. ‘Dev’ branch will be locked temporarily for ‘5.4’ branching Fri 8th August 12:00 CET

o   Branching ‘5.4’ from ‘Dev’ Mon 11th Aug 2014

o   String Freeze 11th Sep 2014

-        Next meeting 11th Aug 2014 16:00 CET


Irc log below:

[17:00:35] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: kkoehne: sahumada: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical: wolfgang-b: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl: ping
[17:00:46] <sahumada> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:49] <wolfgang-b> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:49] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:53] <ZapB> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:55] <ankokko__> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:57] <fkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:00:57] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:20] <jaheikki3> Time to start Qt release team meeting
[17:02:28] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:43] <jaheikki3> 5.3.1 release
[17:02:48] <jaheikki3> 5.4.0 schedule
[17:02:58] <jaheikki3> Any additional items?
[17:03:33] <carewolf> jaheikki3: pong
[17:04:16] <jaheikki3> Let's start from 5.3.1 release
[17:04:29] <jaheikki3> Qt content seems to be OK now, all blockers fixed
[17:04:47] <jaheikki3> Final packages has been under testing since last Friday, no new blockers found
[17:05:11] <jaheikki3> Target is to put Qt 5.3.1 out this Wednesday, 25th June
[17:06:20] <jaheikki3> After creating final packages there has been updates to change files, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/87872/ ,         https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/88070/ & https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/87756/
[17:06:36] <jaheikki3>         My proposal is not to update packages anymore. These will be missing from src package but available via https://qt-project.org/wiki/Change-files-in-Qt-5.3.1
[17:07:38] <jaheikki3> Does someone disagree?
[17:07:48] <sahumada> I dont disagree .. but it doesnt sound like a good idea
[17:09:28] <jaheikki3> sahumada: Why?
[17:09:31] <ZapB> agree with sahumada seems less than ideal. What is stopping packages from being updated? Just time?
[17:10:36] <akseli> i think we can have those changes included into announcement \ blog post ... not ideal situation but Wednesday as release day sounds better alternative than delaying release again
[17:10:47] <sahumada> jaheikki3: because people wont look for the changelogs in the wiki .. they will use the file in git .. and those change entries wont be available if you do git co v5.3.1
[17:11:14] <sahumada> co==checkout
[17:12:04] <jaheikki3> ZapB: It is timing issue. If we have to update packages again we cannot release on wednessday. We need to freeze content at some point & proceed with that one...
[17:13:01] <ZapB> sure but freeze should come after changelogs non?
[17:13:03] <carewolf> well, since it doesn't change any code, it doesn't need new testing. So what would make it necessary to keep that frozen?
[17:13:41] <ZapB> as long as no addditional commits have gone in just move tag to after changelogs and manually update package?
[17:14:53] <jaheikki3> There is no other commits in qt5 content
[17:15:00] <jaheikki3> in 5.3.1 branch
[17:15:46] <ZapB> what is the alternative for package regeneration? How long does that take?
[17:16:19] <ZapB> i.e if not wed then when?
[17:16:35] <akseli> do we need qt5.git integration for those changes files as well? success rate for that in the past has been challenging especially in the eve  of release
[17:17:22] <jaheikki3> yes, qt5.git integration + new build & packaging means new packages available late tomorrow
[17:17:25] <sahumada> yes, we do need qt5.git
[17:17:44] <jaheikki3> Earliest
[17:18:09] <jaheikki3> then mirroring online content etc --> release earliest thursday
[17:18:40] <ZapB> is that too much of a cost for a package with no known inconsistencies
[17:19:06] <ZapB> one day delay seems worth while to me
[17:19:25] <jaheikki3> And if there is some suprises with qt5.git integration it might delay the release more...
[17:19:43] <ZapB> sure
[17:19:47] <akseli> random build failure on packagin and it's next week
[17:19:56] <jaheikki3> true
[17:21:22] <ZapB> for what it's worth I'd vote for following the process and getting the changes in and then releasing. But maybe you guys have more commercial pressure to get this out I'm not aware of
[17:22:06] <jaheikki3> For me it would be a bit weird to delay the release because of these: Even with these changes the change files are quite short & containing only part of actual changes
[17:22:57] <ZapB> Right but that's the call we need to make. Vote or will someone make an executive decision? ;)
[17:23:30] <jaheikki3> Let's vote: I vote not to delay ;)
[17:23:46] <ankokko__> +1
[17:23:47] <akseli> no delay, release on wednesday
[17:24:06] <ZapB> Delay, release when ready
[17:24:27] <sahumada> try to get qt5.git updated and release on Wed .. dont delay otherwise
[17:26:03] <jaheikki3> sahumada: Mirroring takes time so even all succeed we cannot release on wed if need to update packages now
[17:27:13] <jaheikki3> carewolf: fkleint:kkoehne:wolfgang-b:?
[17:27:17] <fkleint> Hm
[17:27:34] <fkleint> Does some someone have the powers to push the ChangeLog in past the CI?
[17:27:48] <sahumada> fkleint: yes, oswald .. same with qt5.git
[17:27:48] <ZapB> ossi|tt: ^ ?
[17:28:09] <fkleint> Maybe that's in order, then. otherwise, they will fail QLocalSocket or sth
[17:28:20] <ZapB> right
[17:28:43] <kkoehne> Why are the ChangeLog entries so late in the first place?
[17:28:57] <ossi|tt> because we suck ;)
[17:29:13] <carewolf> as long as it gets out by friday, I am okay.
[17:29:52] <jaheikki3> kkoehne: maintainers doesn't take care of those
[17:30:00] <carewolf> qtwebkit doesn't have changelogs anyway.
[17:30:18] <kkoehne> Well, if maintainers don't push / integrate their stuff on time, bad luck ... By 2 cents.
[17:30:35] <ZapB> So how about ossi forces the changelogs and qt5.git through. Kick off a new packaging run, and release before Friday if that goes to plan?
[17:32:18] <fkleint> Sounds good to me?
[17:33:01] <jaheikki3> ZapB: I still prefer Wed ;) kkoehne: Your vote?
[17:33:16] <jaheikki3> I think it is 3-3 now :)
[17:33:34] <ZapB> jaheikki3: sure but we shoudl know by Thursday if something has gone wrong or not
[17:34:03] <jaheikki3> ZapB: What do you mean?
[17:34:26] <ZapB> jaheikki3: that we still have the existing packages as fallback if the new ones look like a no go by Thursday
[17:34:49] <ankokko__> but we still need the time for mirroring
[17:35:02] <ZapB> so mirror now but don't expose them until the day?
[17:35:34] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: I think we should just continue with the release on Wednesday, and put it into Known Issues.
[17:35:37] <jaheikki3> After we have new packages we need to start mirroring online content to get all working smoothly
[17:37:05] <jaheikki3> mirroring content & actual update of online installer needs to be done in 2 phases: first content self & then actual visibility
[17:37:49] <jaheikki3> We have to reserve time for both, otherwise there will be errors when users tried to download new release
[17:38:11] <ZapB> OK so it's 4-3 in favour of releasing with existing packages. Everybody happy with that?
[17:38:40] <jaheikki3> I hope so ;)
[17:38:59] <ZapB> and no special action needed to force the integrations
[17:39:16] <jaheikki3> Yeah
[17:39:17] <ZapB> Anything else for 5.3.1?
[17:39:38] <jaheikki3> No, lets put it out this Wed now
[17:39:45] <ZapB> agreed
[17:39:50] <jaheikki3> Then 5.4.0 schedule
[17:41:54] <ZapB> Any particular issues around the 5.4.0 schedule?
[17:42:11] <jaheikki3> Feature freeze is 8th August. We need to lock dev then. I propose locking dev 8.8 12:00 CET
[17:42:49] <ZapB> No objection from me
[17:43:04] <jaheikki3> Wait ongoing integrations (succeed or failed) & branch 5.4 from dev Mon 11.8.2014
[17:43:30] <jaheikki3> That way we could avoid same hazzle what we had with 5.3
[17:43:59] <ZapB> Yep
[17:46:27] <jaheikki3> OK, seems to be Ok for everyone. What about string freeze, would 11 Sep be OK? It is 3 weeks before RC
[17:47:07] <ZapB> Sounds reasonable
[17:48:16] <jaheikki3> OK, that's all about 5.4.0 at the moment
[17:48:29] <jaheikki3> Is there someting else than next meeting?
[17:48:45] <ZapB> Nothing else from me
[17:50:16] <jaheikki3> I am starting my summer vacation after this week so I propose to have next meeting after FF, 11.8.2014 at this same time
[17:52:26] <jaheikki3> Ok, seems to be OK. Let's have next meeting 11.8.2014 16:00 CET
[17:52:50] <ZapB> jaheikki3: ok thanks for driving the meeting and enjoy your holiday!
[17:53:30] <jaheikki3> Thanks! Same to you all! Let's end this meeting now, bye
[17:53:39] <fkleint> thanks, bye,have a nice holiday
[17:54:16] <wolfgang-b> bye
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/attachments/20140624/e0d66613/attachment.html>

More information about the Releasing mailing list