[Releasing] Meeting minutes: Qt release team meeting 24.03.2014

Heikkinen Jani Jani.Heikkinen at digia.com
Mon Mar 24 17:12:55 CET 2014

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 24.03.2014

-        Updated Qt5.3 plan

o   Beta release tomorrow 25.3

o   Merge from stable to release & string freeze 10.4

o   RC 24.4

o   Final 7.5

-        Qt 5.4 plan

o   Feature freeze 8.8

o   Alpha release 14.8

o   Beta release 4.9

o   Release Candidate 2.10

o   Final 23.10

-        Qt4.8.6 plan

o   rc out this week (automated smoke tests must be analyzed first)

-        Next meeting 7th April 2014 16:00 CET



Irc log below:
[17:00:49] <jaheikki3> akseli1: kkoehne: sahumada: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical: wolfgang-b: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl: ping
[17:01:01] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:03] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:05] <fkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:11] <ZapB> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:28] <iieklund_> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:07] <jaheikki3> Time to start Qt release team meeting
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3> Qt5.3 release
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3> Qt5.4 schedule
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3> Qt4.8.6 status
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3> Any additional item?
[17:04:09] <jaheikki3> OK, let's start from Qt 5.3
[17:04:30] <jaheikki3> It seems that we finally have beta content ready
[17:05:11] <jaheikki3> Packages are under testing and at the moment these isn't found anything so critical that we cannot release beta tomorrow
[17:05:29] <thiago> woohoo
[17:05:36] <jaheikki3> So plan is to put beta out tomorrow
[17:06:01] <fregl> great
[17:06:06] <fkleint> Caroline found quite some issues on Mac.Android, apparently, are those all fixed?
[17:06:26] <fkleint> on Friday that is
[17:06:53] <jaheikki3> fkleint: those wasn't seen as a blocker for beta, will be fixed before RC
[17:07:17] <fkleint> oki
[17:07:47] <fkleint> seemsto remember that qmlscene was broken on Mac or sth, but ok ;-)
[17:08:06] <jaheikki3> true as well
[17:08:41] <jaheikki3> We are now about week and half late with beta (compared to original plan)
[17:08:52] <jaheikki3> see http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5.3-release
[17:08:58] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: So let's ship it :)
[17:09:03] <jaheikki3> Yeah
[17:09:27] <kkoehne> It's a _beta_, after all. It's there to let people find bugs ...
[17:09:46] <jaheikki3> agree
[17:10:33] <jaheikki3> I think we cannot have merge from stable to release next monday?
[17:10:57] <thiago> cannot?
[17:11:16] <kkoehne> fkleint: Btw, http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt530-beta1-KnownIssues doesn't list any general qmlscene problem, except for https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-35506
[17:11:32] <jaheikki3> Yeah, cannot. It comes too early to be able to fix issues from beta
[17:12:06] <jaheikki3> I think we should first be sure there wont be another beta before merge, right?
[17:12:38] <thiago> I don't think it makes a difference
[17:12:41] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: Well, there's no fundamental reason to not release a beta2 even from release branch ...
[17:12:46] <fregl> jaheikki3: we can alwasy release the beta from the release branch
[17:12:49] <thiago> the only thing it does is overwrite the 5.2 that is currently there
[17:12:59] <fregl> which won't happen
[17:13:08] <thiago> right
[17:13:21] <thiago> the question we have to ask is: when do we start accepting changes in that branch?
[17:13:33] <thiago> when 5.3.1 branches off
[17:14:30] <kkoehne> thiago: 'that branch' being stable?
[17:15:18] <jaheikki3> In my opinion we should fix most of bugs in stable and when we are almost ready then merge from stable to release and start creating RC
[17:16:36] <carewolf> pong
[17:16:50] <thiago> kkoehne: release
[17:17:04] <fregl> jaheikki3: why?
[17:17:23] <fregl> jaheikki3: since merging branches up and down tends to take time, I'd suggest doing the branching asap
[17:18:03] <fregl> jaheikki3: fixes will be merged release->stable anyway and the sooner we branch off from stable the sooner we reduce potential for new breakage in the release
[17:18:15] <jaheikki3> fregl: Release is merged to stable -> merge from stable to rel should be easy?
[17:18:45] <fregl> jaheikki3: you are right though, at the moment it is ff
[17:18:56] <fregl> since we have no changes in release
[17:19:28] <jaheikki3> fregl: I think branching too early makes future merge from release to stable harder because people starts pushing changes in both branches
[17:19:56] <jaheikki3> that's why we should do those fixes in stable
[17:20:16] <thiago> we go back to my question: when do we tell people that they can do changes for 5.3.1?
[17:20:21] <fregl> merges from release->stable have never been a problem so far
[17:21:03] <kkoehne> thiago: My gut feeling would say when we're nearby an RC
[17:21:04] <jaheikki3> thiago: 5.3.1 is patch release so no new features?
[17:21:23] <kkoehne> thiago: I find it hard to think about a bug fix right now that shouldn't be in 5.3.0, but in 5.3.1
[17:21:59] <kkoehne> s/think about/think of/ :)
[17:22:05] <jaheikki3> thiago: I mean if no new features then changes are just bug fixes
[17:22:56] <jaheikki3> that's why we should be so hurry to branch
[17:23:34] <thiago> I'm more with kkoehne
[17:23:49] <thiago> right now, I can't think of many changes that wouldn't apply to 5.3.0
[17:24:06] <thiago> we need the branch only when we can't afford destabilisation
[17:24:28] <thiago> if we say that the RC is 3 weeks away from today, I recommend we branch off in 2 weeks
[17:24:44] <thiago> is 1 week enough to test making packages?
[17:25:17] <jaheikki3> It should be now
[17:25:43] <jaheikki3> when package creation works pretty much OK
[17:25:53] <jaheikki3> Changing branch isn't so big deal
[17:26:18] <jaheikki3> from packaging point of view
[17:26:42] <jaheikki3> I checked those schedules today and planned to propose:
[17:26:47] <thiago> if it's easy, then I recommend delaying the branching
[17:26:52] <jaheikki3> Merge from stable to release & string freeze 10.4
[17:26:58] <jaheikki3> RC 24.4
[17:26:58] <jaheikki3> Final 7.5
[17:27:46] <jaheikki3> There is Easter after three weeks and it isn't wise to release RC just before it
[17:27:56] -*- thiago checks when easter is
[17:28:16] <jaheikki3> Easter 18.4 -21.4
[17:28:22] <thiago> right, 3 weeks from now. So no release on the week of the 17
[17:28:41] <thiago> dates look fine then
[17:29:48] <jaheikki3> If all agrees I'll update plan to wiki soon
[17:29:54] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: +1
[17:30:11] <akseli> jaheikki3: +1
[17:30:21] <fregl> makes sense
[17:30:29] <fkleint> +1
[17:30:56] <iieklund_> +1
[17:31:11] <jaheikki3> OK, seems to be approved.
[17:31:18] <jaheikki3> Next 5.4 schedule
[17:31:37] <jaheikki3> We have discussed that in Digia mgmt
[17:31:59] <thiago> lars hasn't posted his preferred dates yet
[17:32:13] <thiago> he did say before we'd like to move it close to october
[17:32:28] <thiago> DD is also scheduled for early october
[17:32:31] <jaheikki3> thiago: He has been involved in that discussion
[17:32:53] <fkleint> DevDays are 6.10. Berlin...
[17:32:57] <jaheikki3> and we agree to discuss/approve plan here before putting it to dev list
[17:33:32] <jaheikki3> Yeah, baseline for plan is to get 5.4 out during October
[17:33:33] <lars> thiago: jaheikki3: yes. the proposed schedule actually puts it in october.
[17:33:57] <jaheikki3> And here is the proposed plan:
[17:34:05] <jaheikki3> Feature freeze 8.8
[17:34:05] <jaheikki3> Alpha release 14.8
[17:34:05] <jaheikki3> Beta release 4.9
[17:34:05] <jaheikki3> Release Candidate 2.10
[17:34:05] <jaheikki3> Final 23.10
[17:34:33] <thiago> looks good
[17:34:37] <ZapB> +1
[17:34:57] -*- thiago will try to come to Oslo right after DD Berlin
[17:34:58] <jaheikki3> As fkleint wrote, devdays is 6.10 in berlin, that's why one week more between RC & final
[17:36:25] <jaheikki3> Any comments or is the plan OK for everyone?
[17:36:52] <ZapB> will be ncie to have RC around DD
[17:36:55] <ZapB> nice*
[17:37:01] <thiago> quoting from one of the books I'm reading, "even the best plans do not survive the first contact with the enemy"
[17:37:07] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: +1
[17:37:16] <thiago> it looks fine now, 4.5 months before the first date :-)
[17:37:16] <fkleint> such as CI system...ok
[17:37:36] <jaheikki3> :)
[17:37:56] <lars> thiago: as long as it's only the plan that doesn't survive... ;-)
[17:38:29] <jaheikki3> OK, let's try to create 5.4 with that plan...
[17:38:43] <jaheikki3> Then 4.8.6 status. akseli^
[17:39:12] <akseli> rebuild configure.exe has landed to qt48 branch and it would be time to finally try freeze sha1
[17:39:52] <akseli> and get rc out. there are some nice fixes but line has to be drawn somewhere.
[17:40:38] <akseli> and we are missing copyright year change (https://codereview.qt-project.org/81485) at the moment .. does somenone want to review & approve?
[17:41:14] <akseli> unfortunately i haven't had time to focus today on qt48 and wont have time before 5.3beta is out
[17:42:06] <akseli> aiming to have rc out this week again but have to analyze automated smoke tests first
[17:42:58] <kkoehne> lars: ^^ Feel like giving a +2 ? :)
[17:45:23] <akseli> anyway, i try to get rc packages out this week
[17:46:32] <jaheikki3> Ok, thanks akseli. Any comments related to 4.8.6?
[17:48:29] <thiago> kkoehne: lars said he was going home
[17:48:35] <jaheikki3> OK, then next meeting. I propose to skip next moday and have meeting 7.4 16:00 CET?
[17:48:45] <kkoehne> thiago: Okay.
[17:48:55] <kkoehne> jaheikki3: Fine with me
[17:49:14] <thiago> not next week?
[17:49:32] <ZapB> jaheikki3: fine by me
[17:49:46] <jaheikki3> thiago: Is there something you want to handle next monday?
[17:49:46] <akseli> jaheikki3: +1
[17:50:27] <thiago> no, just wondering
[17:50:34] <jaheikki3> thiago: I think there isn't so much for the agenda then and that's why proposed to skip it. But if there is something we can have it of course
[17:50:34] <thiago> +1 for april 7
[17:51:00] <jaheikki3> OK. next meeting 7 April 16:00 CET
[17:51:09] <jaheikki3> Let's end this meeting now. Bye
[17:52:06] <ZapB> jaheikki3: thanks and bye
[17:52:11] <akseli> bye
[17:53:18] <fkleint> bye
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/attachments/20140324/1659250a/attachment.html>

More information about the Releasing mailing list