[Releasing] qtwebkit 5.5.2 or 5.6.0

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Dec 1 17:17:41 CET 2015

On Tuesday 01 December 2015 08:11:47 Knoll Lars wrote:
> >And we'll need to keep releasing every time that we change qtbase in such a
> >
> > way that breaks the build of those modules.
>
> In addition, this conflicts with your message on development about keeping
> compatibility on the build system level. If we stop supporting a module, we
> shouldn’t have to do any more releases on it.

That's because I wrote this email before that one. I changed my mind: I think
we need to keep compatibility, which means that instead of releasing new
versions of qtwebkit and qtscript, we'll need to compile the old ones with our
new releases as part of our release testing.

We can't stop worrying about them, at least not for the next year or so.

> But this clearly shows that we need to simplify our source packages creation
> to a git archive call (without further post processing). We haven’t done it
> so far because people will then need additional build tools (esp. on
> Windows). But given this, we need to get to that state rather soon, to
> avoid these kind of problems.

All that is missing is to rewrite syncqt from Perl to C++. Either we use
Standard Library C++ or merge it into qmake if we want to use Qt classes.
Given that it is going to open files and all the Unicode issues on Windows, I
think the latter is the better way forward.