[Releasing] qtwebkit 5.5.2 or 5.6.0

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Wed Dec 2 12:11:04 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 08:17:41AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2015 08:11:47 Knoll Lars wrote:
> > But this clearly shows that we need to simplify our source packages creation
> > to a git archive call (without further post processing). We haven’t done it
> > so far because people will then need additional build tools (esp. on
> > Windows). But given this, we need to get to that state rather soon, to
> > avoid these kind of problems.
>
> All that is missing is to rewrite syncqt from Perl to C++. Either we use
> Standard Library C++ or merge it into qmake if we want to use Qt classes.

i've been pondering this just a few days ago with joerg.

it sort of makes sense to put it into qmake (the minimal syncqt needed
to bootstrap qmake can be easily re-implemented with sh and cmd).
what i don't like about this is that this is rather heavily qt-specific,
so it's a bit ugly to put it into the more or less generic code in
qmake. ah, well ...

i've also considered rewriting it in the qmake language, but it would be
really abysmally slow.

a middle ground may be exposing a parametrizable "c++ preprocessor and
parser kernel" which would be used also by the dependency and automoc
scanners. eddy had "fun" with this code just recently. how's that for a
project?  ^^

> Given that it is going to open files and all the Unicode issues on
> Windows, I think the latter is the better way forward.

qmake just uses latin1 (windows) or 8-bit pass-through (unix) anyway.
but that has never been a serious problem for qt itself.
let me also remind you of https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-27896 ;)

note that there is another problem in the way of shipping git archives
as distributables: configure.exe.
at a minimum, the help content needs to be extracted into a static .txt
file, so configure.bat can just dump it when it's called with /help.
then it will be ok to always bootstrap configure.exe.
the help output of the unix configure is mostly static already, so
it should be fairly easy to unify it.