[Releasing] qtwebkit 5.5.2 or 5.6.0

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Thu Dec 3 11:13:59 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 01:20:27PM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 December 2015 12:11:04 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > at a minimum, the help content needs to be extracted into a static
> > .txt file, so configure.bat can just dump it when it's called with
> > /help.
>
> Oh. Yeah, people complained that configure -help started building
> stuff. We can have a minimal help that says that the full help
> requires building configure first. This minimal output wouldn't need
> to be maintained per platform, it would be just the immutable basics.

nah, i don't want "minimal". then you could point to the readme just as
well.

> > then it will be ok to always bootstrap configure.exe.
> > the help output of the unix configure is mostly static already, so
> > it should be fairly easy to unify it.
>
> The problem is that the configures take different options. There are switches
> that exist only for Unix and not for configure.exe. Unifying the switches is
> more work that we don't need now.

the differences are quite minimal at this point, and resolving them is a
worthy goal in itself.
the problem of inherently platform-specific switches exists even within
the existing configures. this is best dealt with by documenting the
switches as such. it would be even an improvement from the user
perspective to have everything spelled out consistently - it's actually
the usual argument about the evils of dynamic user interfaces.