[Releasing] [Development] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Jun 22 08:28:12 CEST 2016

Hi,

To be clear: There isn't version bump in qt, it is still 5.6.1. We just re-packed the release from '5.6.1' branch with that new change for fixing QTBUG-53761 included (https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/162677/). In tags & packages we used 5.6.1-1 to make difference with original and updated ones & to be able to identify if user has original or re-packed version in the use. Of course we could just move v5.6.1 tag in declarative and ignore v5.6.1-1 and that's it...

But It has done this way now. Ok, if tag or something is really broken let's just correct that but otherwise just live with this now. And for the future lets just agree the way to work with this kind of 'brown paper bug issue'. In my opinion bumping version numbers and doing totally new release because of just one fix is too heavy. I think we should have a way to produce this kind of update with 'simple hot fix ' easily and quickly without re-doing whole release in case of this kind of blocker.

br,

Jani