[Releasing] [Development] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:04:12 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Jani Heikkinen <jani.heikkinen at qt.io>
wrote:

> In my opinion bumping version numbers and doing totally new release
> because of just one fix is too heavy. I think we should have a way to
> produce this kind of update with 'simple hot fix ' easily and quickly
> without re-doing whole release in case of this kind of blocker.

This reopens a question which is still very obscure to the community (or at
least to me), which is: what is the complexity of creating packages? Why is
redoing packages with a different version number (say, by branching 5.6.1
into 5.6.2) "too heavy"? Could you please share some insights on what
happens behind the scenes?

Thank you,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo