[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 11.10.2016

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Oct 12 07:50:31 CEST 2016

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 11th October 2016

Qt 5.8.0 beta:
- Problems with qt5.git integration atm, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/172600/
- Some beta blockers still open, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=17924
- Some new configuration system related changes still under work
--> We need to delay the beta. New target week 43

Qt 5.6.2:
- Final content in place
- Blocker list empty and no new blockers reported during testing
-> Current packages will be released as Qt 5.6.2 (most probably today)

Qt 5.7.1:
- Branching finalized
- Merges from '5.6' & '5.6.2' to '5.7.1' done
   * We should be pretty close to release content already but we will see it after first testing round
- Target to create first snapshot for testing during this week
   * Problems with qt5.git integration at the moment
- Target is to get Qt 5.7.1 out still during October


irc log below:

[17:00:56] <jaheikki3> kseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical: vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:01:20] <jaheikki3> akseli:ping ;)
[17:01:22] <akseli1> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:27] <ankokko_> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:58] <fkleint> jaheikki3:pong
[17:02:27] <carewolf> pong
[17:02:28] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:36] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:44] <jaheikki3> qt5.8.0 beta status
[17:02:55] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.6.2 release decision
[17:03:06] <jaheikki3> qt 5.7.1 status
[17:03:15] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:18] <jaheikki3> Let's start from qt 5.8.0 beta status:
[17:05:00] <jaheikki3> QTBUG-56471 is blocking the qt5.git integration in '5.8' atm
[17:05:17] <jaheikki3> that's why no new snaposhot for testing 
[17:06:07] <jaheikki3> we should have fix for linux installers in so after we succeed to integrate qt5.git we should be able to produce full set of installers for testing
[17:06:46] <jaheikki3> some beta blockers still open in blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=17924
[17:07:23] <jaheikki3> And some new configuration system related changes still under work 
[17:08:43] <jaheikki3> So we cannot release beta yet. New target week 43
[17:09:51] <jaheikki3> For that we should be able to get needed configuration system changes in, execute new test round for full set of packages & fix remaining blockers etc
[17:10:03] <jaheikki3> Any comments / questions?
[17:11:52] <jaheikki3> Ok, then Qt 5.6.2 status:
[17:12:10] <jaheikki3> We should have final content in place
[17:12:37] <jaheikki3> blocker list is empty & no new blockers reported from manual testing
[17:13:36] <jaheikki3> In QTBUG-53761 there were a comment that it might be active again in 5.6.2 but it seems to be false alarm
[17:15:11] <jaheikki3> So i propose that we release current 5.6.2 packages tomorrow (if QTBUG-53761 isn't really valid)
[17:16:07] <ankokko_> +1
[17:16:19] <akseli1> +1
[17:16:21] <carewolf> +1
[17:16:30] <fkleint> +1
[17:17:21] <jaheikki3> Great, let's put qt 5.6.2 out tomorrow
[17:17:31] <jaheikki3> Then Qt 5.7.1 status shortly
[17:17:53] <jaheikki3> Branching finalized
[17:18:20] <jaheikki3> All merges from 5.6.2 & 5.6 should be in 5.7 and 5.7.1 
[17:18:44] <jaheikki3> Target is to create first binary snapshot for testing during this week
[17:19:22] <jaheikki3> but let's see, we will prioritize 5.8.0 beta so if we need resources for that then 5.7.1 snapshot will be postponed
[17:19:46] <jaheikki3> And target is to release Qt 5.7.1 still during October
[17:19:54] <jaheikki3> Any comments/questions?
[17:21:24] <fkleint> The idea was to close 5.7 after 5.7.1 
[17:21:32] <fkleint> basically one stage less to merge
[17:21:47] <fkleint> Maybe we should do 5.7.1 first, good riddance and then focus on 5.8?
[17:22:05] <fkleint> but maybe check with lars?
[17:22:28] <jaheikki3> fkleint: Do you mean do 5.7.1 before 5.8.0 beta?
[17:22:33] <fkleint> yes
[17:22:39] <fkleint> and close 5.7 it down
[17:23:22] <thiago> how much work is it still to merge 5.6 to 5.7?
[17:23:36] <fkleint> not that much
[17:23:37] <jaheikki3> 5.8.0 is more important so getting beta out as soon as possible is prio0. 
[17:23:41] <lars> fkleint: depends on how long we need to get 5.7.1 out. We really need to get 5.8 beta out asap if we want to have a chance at releasing the final before christmas
[17:23:42] <thiago> basically, 5.7.2 would be 5.7.1 + the bugfixes that happened in 5.6
[17:23:43] <fkleint> ->5.8 is then the problem
[17:23:51] <fkleint> still , it would reduce hassle
[17:24:01] <thiago> right, but that won't be solved by closing 5.7
[17:24:21] <fkleint> 5.7.1 should be pretty much done?
[17:24:37] <fkleint> how far is the new config system from  final?
[17:24:37] <thiago> after the 5.6.2 merge happens, I guess
[17:24:41] <jaheikki3> actually we don't know, we haven't done any testing for it
[17:24:44] <thiago> I doubt anyone has anything urgent
[17:24:48] <jaheikki3> thiago: merges are done
[17:25:24] <jaheikki3> We will see where we are with 5.7.1 when we get first snapshot for testing
[17:25:25] <lars> fkleint: one set of patches from ossi still pending. most other things are in (except for smallish fixes)
[17:26:26] <thiago> if 5.6.2 changes, we'll need to merge again
[17:26:37] <thiago> but that shouldn't happen
[17:26:39] <jaheikki3> So let's try to to proceed with 5.8 beta and 5.7.1 snapshot & release those when ready. Let's see which one is first ;)
[17:26:40] <fkleint> hm, then wait for qt5.git in 5.8; in meantime we could release 5.7.1 ..
[17:27:07] <jaheikki3> fkleint: we need resources for integrating 5.8
[17:27:22] <thiago> so long as 5.7.1 ⊃ 5.6.2, we can
[17:27:26] <jaheikki3> But just now when we are waiting a fix we could try to integrate 5.7.1
[17:27:48] <jaheikki3> & have first snapshot for testingf
[17:28:00] <jaheikki3> I'll try 5.7.1 integration today
[17:28:21] <jaheikki3> and yes, 5.7.1 contains all changes from 5.6.2
[17:29:07] <jaheikki3> And I agree getting 5.7.1 out as soon as possible helps us to focus 5.8 
[17:29:17] <carewolf> when is the last merge from 5.7 to 5.7.1?
[17:29:38] <jaheikki3> carewolf: it is already done as ossi|tt informed
[17:30:20] <jaheikki3> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/releasing/2016-October/004347.html
[17:30:25] <carewolf> we may need another in qtwebengine then, I thought it was just a soft
[17:31:03] <jaheikki3> carewolf: so something went in '5.7' which has to be in 5.7.1?
[17:31:24] <carewolf> yes, security fixes from the Chrome 53 release
[17:31:46] <carewolf> I never had time to get them in 5.6.2, but we will just have to live without
[17:31:52] <jaheikki3> carewolf: ok
[17:32:31] <carewolf> and support for os x 10.12
[17:32:58] <jaheikki3> Ok, would be good to get in 5.7.1
[17:33:55] <jaheikki3> carewolf: I think you can do the merge by yourself?
[17:34:06] <carewolf> sure
[17:34:20] <carewolf> I think. Just can't stage it
[17:34:27] <jaheikki3> I'll do it ;)
[17:34:52] <jaheikki3> Staging I ment
[17:34:54] <carewolf> I'll have to check if https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/173405/ contains something critical
[17:34:58] <carewolf> great
[17:35:29] <jaheikki3> ok. I think it was all at this time
[17:36:03] <jaheikki3> Let's end this meeting now & have new one next week as planned.
[17:36:17] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:36:21] <fkleint> bye
[17:36:21] <thiago> bye
[17:36:25] <ankokko_> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list