[Releasing] Qt 5.10 schedule etc

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Tue Aug 1 08:55:28 CEST 2017

Hi all,
Kindly reminder: According to schedule we should have Qt 5.10 feature freeze after a week, see https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_5.10_Release. So it is time to do remaining finalizations to 5.10 new features now and focus to bug fixing after that. Please fill new features page now as well (https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.10); it seems to be quite empty at the moment.

And we should start soft branching today. But as Frederik informed yesterday we are planning to do some changes to coin infrastructure during this week (see http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2017-July/030596.html). So let's postpone the start of soft branching a bit and do it after coin infra changes are in & working. Doing one more branch just now makes these coin changes more difficult & most probably causes more delays in the future.

So the plan with 5.10 is following:
1. Let's keep the agreed ff as it is (8.8.2017)
2. Get first 5.10 binary snapshot from 'dev' out as soon as possible
3. Start soft branching (from 'dev' to '5.10') immediately after coin infra changes are in & every branch ('5.6', 5.9' & 'dev') is working ok with infra changes
4. Finalize branching (~ a week from soft branching)
5. Release Qt 5.10 alpha as soon as possible after the branching. We should be able to do this quite quickly; As usual Alpha will be src packages only and we can already create needed ones from 'dev'.
   * Most probably we should be able to deliver binary snapshot with alpha as well. If not just at same time then quite soon after the release...

br,
Jani