[Releasing] HEADS-UP: Branching from 'dev' to '5.9' started

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Mon Jan 30 18:27:36 CET 2017

> On segunda-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2017 16:15:26 PST Jason H wrote:
> > That's great, but I'm a commercial license owner. Both of these are
> > relatively minor changes that mean a lot to me.
> >
> > Paring my list down to just API changes, I have these two:
> > https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-51133 <- this is the main one I'm
> > talking about (Feb 2016) https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-52013 (Mar
> > 2016)
>
> If you're submitting the changes yourself and you're not getting the reviews
> in time, then the Qt Project needs to acommodate you. As I said, the lead time
> is not 12 months.

The way the project has been recently run, it is not practicable to get anything done in under 12 months.
If my current version is 5.6, and I want an API change, it can't go in 5.7 because it's already in a feature freeze, so there's 6 months. If I can get it scheduled for 5.8, then that's not going to land for a year from 5.6. 5.7 was exactly 6 months from FF to release, 5.8 was just over 6 months. Since no one picked this for 5.8, I'm left still begging for it for 5.9 just before the feature freeze.

The support contract is very good for bugs,  but for anything else, it's just throwing it over a wall and hoping a developer picks it up, leading me to be vocal on the mailing lists.