[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 16.05.2017

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed May 17 13:52:43 CEST 2017

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 16th May 2017

Qt 5.9 status:
- Beta4 out
   * Should be last beta before Qt 5.9.0 rc, lets see
   * Some release blockers still open in beta4, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=18395 ( & https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_5.9.0_Known_Issues)
   * hoping we get some test results in https://wiki.qt.io/Qt59_release_testing at this time
- Target to get rc out at the beginning of next week
   * Original plan was 17th May

next meeting Tue 23rd May 16:00 CET


irc log below:
[17:01:07] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: fkleint: ZapB: tronical:vladimirM: aholza: peter-h: mapaaso: ankokko: fkleint: carewolf: fregl:ablasche:ping
[17:01:17] <akseli> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:23] <fkleint> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:25] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:20] <carewolf> pong
[17:02:28] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:33] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:40] <jaheikki3> - Qt 5.9.0 status
[17:02:48] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:28] <jaheikki3> Ok, let's browse through Qt 5.9.0 status
[17:04:40] <jaheikki3> - Beta4 released today
[17:05:21] <thiago> yay
[17:05:41] <jaheikki3> It would be good to get some testing coverage for it. We didn't get that much test reports from previous ones, see https://wiki.qt.io/Qt59_release_testing
[17:06:33] <jaheikki3> API review should be OK finally as well as change files: Only qtbase one not in yet but it has '+2' finally
[17:06:56] <fkleint> well, as I said,  it still has QTBUG-60562 QTBUG-60689    QTBUG-60795  -> bummer, fail
[17:06:57] <qt_gerrit> well, REG [within 5.9]: Windows font engine rendering broken when using message box with rich text - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60562 (Closed)
[17:06:57] <qt_gerrit> well, Missing ambiguity error message on type clash (Qt.labs.settings, QtQuick.Controls.Private clash on order) - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60689 (Open)
[17:06:57] <qt_gerrit> well, qtlocation build failed on win7: cannot find -lQtANGLE - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60795 (In Progress)
[17:07:08] <fkleint> no use testing further
[17:07:10] <jaheikki3> Still some issues open in rc blocker list, see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=18395
[17:08:05] <carewolf> well the second is not a blocker, we worked around the issue
[17:08:19] <jaheikki3> Luckily most of those have fix already available. Only QTBUG-60792 & QTBUG-60771 really without a fix 
[17:08:19] <qt_gerrit> jaheikki3: qtlocation build timeout after 45 minutes (qdbusxml2cpp hangs when built using bootstrap dbus library) - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60792 (In Progress)
[17:08:20] <carewolf> and the first is closed for a few weeks
[17:08:20] <qt_gerrit> jaheikki3: [REG 5.9.0b2->5.9.0b3][macOS]: When creating QSharedMemory in one version and then attaching to it from another version, it will fail - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60771 (Reported)
[17:08:36] <fkleint> yes, but the fixes are not effective in beta 4
[17:08:46] <carewolf> hm :/
[17:08:53] <fkleint> it is a bit embarrarsing to say "This is our final beta"
[17:08:54] <jaheikki3> fkleint: but will be fixed in rc
[17:09:11] <jaheikki3> which is most probably the next release
[17:09:24] <fkleint> would rather have beta 5 + test round to ensure stuff  is ok
[17:09:44] <jaheikki3> fkleint: that's why is RC
[17:09:48] <akseli> fkleint: are those 3 bugs really blocking further testing on all platforms? 
[17:10:13] <jaheikki3> carewolf: beta4 content is integrated 7th May, that's why WE workaround is missing
[17:10:54] <fkleint> akseli: In a way yes, since people will discover them (as they are glaring obvious), report a ton of duplicates and be distracted
[17:11:06] <fkleint> it just causes churn
[17:11:19] <fkleint> So better, integrate fixes, do beta 5 , testing
[17:12:03] <carewolf> unless we have blockers not fixed, we should do an RC
[17:12:07] <jaheikki3> fkleint: as I reply to you we don't need perfect beta(n); It is enough if all is OK in RC. 
[17:12:15] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Exactly
[17:12:59] <akseli> fkleint: so kind of one purpose of this meeting (and meeting minutes) to tell people that there are fixes for these bugs, please do continue testing beyond those? ;)
[17:13:17] <fkleint> jaheikki3: For us yes, but people & customers outside check the beta , see the embarrarsing font glitches and laugh  at us
[17:13:38] <fkleint> akseli: Yes, clearly state those are known 
[17:14:19] <jaheikki3> And at this time we are planning to do qt 5.9.1 quite soon after 5.9.0 we can accept some quite bad issues in RC/final as well ;) But of course we should do as good release as possible
[17:14:56] <jaheikki3> thiago: btw, did you notice  QTBUG-60792 seems to be a regression from your dbus changes?
[17:14:57] <qt_gerrit> thiago: qtlocation build timeout after 45 minutes (qdbusxml2cpp hangs when built using bootstrap dbus library) - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60792 (In Progress)
[17:15:18] <thiago> jaheikki3: no, I didn't know about it until now
[17:15:31] <thiago> about the bug
[17:15:34] <fregl> thiago: and also https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60852
[17:15:37] <qt_gerrit> thiago: qdbuscpp2xml deadlocks - https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60852 (Reported)
[17:15:39] <fkleint> thiago: Yes, owolff gave up on it
[17:15:40] <thiago> about the regression, I am waiting for a backtrace so I can work on
[17:15:53] <fkleint> thiago: he found it locks up on exit on some mutex
[17:16:04] <fkleint> did he add diagnosis..I wonder
[17:16:18] <fregl> thiago: see the report I posted, it does hit debug builds as well, I was just building the wrong branch at first...
[17:17:02] <jaheikki3> thiago: There is already fix proposal, please review https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/194745/
[17:17:02] <qt_gerrit> thiago: [qt/qtbase/5.9.0] Fix QDBusMetaTypeId in bootstrap builds from Simon Hausmann - https://codereview.qt-project.org/194745 (NEW)
[17:17:16] <thiago> the first one is already fixed
[17:18:55] <thiago> the second one is what I've been asking for for a year
[17:18:58] <thiago> though not helpful yet
[17:21:09] <jaheikki3> So few items still to be fixed before we can create official RC packages... target to get RC out at the beginning of next week. Original plan was 17th May so RC will be delayed a bit. But we should be still able to get final out in time (at the end of May)
[17:21:27] <jaheikki3> Any more comments or questions?
[17:21:36] <fregl> thiago: please comment on the bug, I have a VM that reproduces the lock. I need to leave now though. I can have a look tomorrow, maybe late today.
[17:24:40] <jaheikki3> Ok, this was all at this time. Let's have new meeting Tue 23rd May as planned
[17:24:50] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation. Bye!
[17:25:12] <fkleint> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list