[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 4.8.2020
jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Aug 5 07:02:44 CEST 2020
Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 4th June 2020
Qt 6.0.0 status:
- Snapshot publicly available since June
- Creating new one ongoing
* We need new qt5 submodule update to get needed fixes in packages. Currently blocked because of failing dependency update in qtdeclarative
* Target is to do regular updates after all current issues is fixed.
- Feature freeze should be in effect at the end of August
Qt 5.15.1 status:
- Release preparations started & first snapshot published
- Target is to publish new snapshot during this week
- Branching from '5.15' to '5.15'1 will be done at the end of this week
* No need to do soft branching anymore; we are in cherry-pick mode
- Initial changes files will be created immediately after branching
- Target is to release Qt 5.15.1 during August
* Release blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22356
Next meeting Tue 11th August 16:00 CET
irc log below:
[17:00:36] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:01:26] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:01:28] <carewolf> pong
[17:01:48] <jaheikki3> on agenda today:
[17:01:54] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:54] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.0.0 status
[17:02:01] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.15.1 status
[17:02:10] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:03:39] <jaheikki3> Lets start from Qt 6.0.0 status:
[17:03:53] <jaheikki3> Snapshot publicly available since June
[17:04:00] <thiago> I've seen people use it
[17:04:13] <jaheikki3> Yeah, same here which is good
[17:04:26] <jaheikki3> Creating new one ongoing
[17:04:51] <jaheikki3> new qt5 submodule update needed to get mandatory fixes in packages
[17:05:15] <jaheikki3> (there were regression which broke packages)
[17:06:14] <jaheikki3> It is currently blocked because of problems qtdeclarative
[17:06:28] <jaheikki3> Study ongoing, hoping we can get it solved soon
[17:06:41] <jaheikki3> Target is to do regular updates after all current issues are fixed
[17:06:54] <thiago> btw, are we going to have a new top-level module?
[17:07:01] <thiago> qt5 tag 6.0.0 is weird :-)
[17:07:26] <jaheikki3> Yeah, pretty much agree
[17:07:37] <jaheikki3> I'll check that with lars_
[17:08:27] <jaheikki3> And just a reminder, FF should be in effect at the end of August
[17:08:49] <jaheikki3> That's pretty much all about Qt6 at this time, any comments or questions?
[17:10:07] <jaheikki3> Ok, then Qt 5.15.1 status
[17:10:22] <jaheikki3> Release preparations started & first snapshot published
[17:10:37] <jaheikki3> Target is to publish new snapshot during this week
[17:10:44] <carewolf> will we branch 5.15.1 soon?
[17:11:01] <jaheikki3> Branching from '5.15' to '5.15.1' will be done at the end of this week
[17:11:09] <thiago> btw, is morten back? I don't see activity in the branch fixing hidpi.
[17:11:45] <carewolf> no idea
[17:11:53] <thiago> will ping him
[17:11:58] <thiago> when is the expected branch date?
[17:11:59] <jaheikki3> thanks
[17:12:15] <jaheikki3> thiago: target is to do it this Friday
[17:12:17] <jaheikki3> and no need to do soft branching anymore; we are in cherry-pick mode
[17:12:42] <carewolf> right, though commits still need to target 5.15.1 then?
[17:12:50] <jaheikki3> Yes
[17:13:25] <jaheikki3> Initial changes files will be created immediately after branching
[17:13:30] <carewolf> note qtwebengine is not in cherry-picking mode
[17:14:52] <jaheikki3> carewolf: yeah, Ok. But with one module we can survive without soift branching & move ongoing (& mandatory fixes) from '5.15' to '5.15.1'
[17:15:17] <carewolf> true, just point it out :)
[17:15:49] <thiago> carewolf: how long will you continue making feature releases of qtwebengine compatible with qt5?
[17:16:46] <carewolf> good question. Probably until qtwebengine is included in qt6, but it might be under GPLv3 after LTS takes effect
[17:17:44] <jaheikki3> Target is to release Qt 5.15.1 during August so please finalize those changes files immediately after initial ones available
[17:17:53] <jaheikki3> Release blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22356
[17:18:27] <jaheikki3> Quite many issues open there, I'll clean the list tomorrow (if there is something unnecessary there)
[17:18:45] <thiago> changing licensing is not very welcoming
[17:19:37] <thiago> anyway, I meant feature releases, with engine updates, not just bugfixes
[17:19:41] <thiago> has this been considered?
[17:20:13] <carewolf> yes, I expect a feature update in 5.15.2, maybe one more, but it is actually getting difficult to keep the same platform support
[17:20:54] <carewolf> there is some pressure to have one after the license change, but that is just a mess with respect to security patches and the opensource tree
[17:22:10] <jaheikki3> Ok that was all about Qt 5.15.1 at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:22:24] <carewolf> what is the targetted date? in two weeks?
[17:23:52] <jaheikki3> Yeah, something like that. I woud say target is 20th August
[17:24:11] <carewolf> ok, a bit late
[17:24:41] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Why? I think it will be really hard to get it out earlier...
[17:25:02] <carewolf> just that I would have preferred a release in late june, so it will be two months delayed.
[17:25:13] <carewolf> or three months from 5.15.0
[17:25:26] <carewolf> but yes, I know that was optimistic thinking from my side
[17:25:59] <jaheikki3> Yeah, that's true. Let's try to get it out as soon as possible. But finalizing changes files & fixing remaining blockers will take a while...
[17:26:04] <thiago> everyone knows nothing happens over Summer vacations
[17:26:14] <carewolf> true
[17:26:15] <thiago> I miss my 5 weeks of vacation...
[17:26:19] <jaheikki3> :D
[17:27:01] <jaheikki3> ok, let's end this meeting now & have new one tue 11th August at this same time as planned
[17:27:10] <thiago> one week might suffice for 5.15.2, but because of the accummulation over Summer, we need more time ot see what's there
[17:27:15] <thiago> and it's the first one anyway
[17:27:24] <carewolf> right
[17:27:39] <carewolf> ok, cya
[17:27:44] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye
[17:31:19] <thiago> thanks jani
More information about the Releasing