[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 18.8.2020
jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Aug 19 07:28:12 CEST 2020
Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 18th August 2020
Qt 6.0.0 status:
- Feature Freeze will be in effect 31st August 2020
* Target is to keep the schedule & give some exceptions if really needed.
- Target is to release Qt 6.0.0 Alpha soon after FF, target date is 14th September
* Possible exceptions might cause delays to schedule, let's see
- Creating new snapshot still ongoing
* Problems with updating dependencies in few modules
* Target is to publish new snapshot immediately after we managed to build whole dependency chain
- Branching '6.0.0' from 'dev' should happen soon after FF is in effect
* exact time will be decided later
Qt 5.15.1 status:
- Branching from '5.15' to '5.15.1' delayed
* Target is to do branching immediately after qt5.git integration finally succeed in '5.15'
- New snapshot will be published immediately after qt5.git integration succeed in '5.15'
- Initial changes files will be created immediately after branching is done
- Target is to get the release out as soon as possible; let's see if that can still happen during August or not
* Release blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22356
Next meeting Tue 25th August 2020 16:00 CET
irc log below:
[17:00:30] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:00:58] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:01] <jaheikki3> time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:09] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:22] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.0.0 status
[17:02:27] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.15.1 status
[17:02:34] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:02:41] <thiago> question: .9
[17:02:48] <thiago> 5.9
[17:03:04] <thiago> was the last eever release already made?
[17:04:18] <jaheikki3> thiago. yes. We agreed ~ at the end of last year that we won't add support for openSSL1.1.x & do not do any more releases to Qt 5.9 LTS
[17:05:19] <thiago> right, thanks
[17:07:10] <jaheikki3> ok, then quick Qt 6.0.0 status
[17:07:36] <jaheikki3> Feature freeze will be in effect at the end of August
[17:08:41] <jaheikki3> Target is to release Qt 6.0.0 Alpha soon after FF, target date is 14th September
[17:09:02] <jaheikki3> Creating new snapshot from dev still ongoing
[17:10:18] <thiago> what's the progress on cmake?
[17:10:27] <thiago> will we have it as the official buildsystem by alpha?
[17:10:33] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately there seems all the time changes in qtbase which are breaking compilation of other submodules
[17:10:45] <jaheikki3> thiago: yes, that is the target
[17:11:03] <jaheikki3> And binaries in first snapshot are already cmake based
[17:11:36] <jaheikki3> There is still quite many qmake based builds in CI but all packaging ones are cmake based
[17:12:06] <jaheikki3> And Alexandru promised to start converting those qmake ones to cmake
[17:12:45] <thiago> qtbase is still undergoing deep changes
[17:12:46] <jaheikki3> And we already have most of needed packaging targets in CI, mostly android ones are missing
[17:12:57] <thiago> I don't know about other libs, but QtCore is not nearly enough done
[17:13:06] <thiago> we haven't even finished the dedsign of the new property system
[17:13:35] <jaheikki3> yeah, that's true. and that is in critical path now.
[17:14:05] <jaheikki3> But the target is still to keep the original FF schedule
[17:14:22] <thiago> sure
[17:14:26] <jaheikki3> Let's see if we can make it happen or if some exceptions are needed
[17:14:27] <thiago> but I fear we'll need Plan B
[17:16:37] <jaheikki3> we had some discussions related to that in the QtC and common consensus seems to be we should try to keep it & give some exceptions if really needed. & Then understand that those exceptions might cause delays to later milestones
[17:17:00] <thiago> ok
[17:19:29] <jaheikki3> Branching from 'dev' to '6.0.0' should happen ~ FF, let's see later the exact time for that as well
[17:19:51] <jaheikki3> But it was all about Qt 6.0.0 at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:19:51] <carewolf> ok
[17:21:03] <jaheikki3> Then quick qt 5.15.1 status update
[17:21:35] <jaheikki3> Unfortunately branching from 5.15 to 5.15.1 delayed
[17:21:44] <jaheikki3> Target is to do branching immediately after qt5.git integration finally succeed in '5.15'
[17:22:08] <jaheikki3> New snapshot will be published immediately after that as well
[17:22:26] <jaheikki3> And Initial changes files will be created too then
[17:22:40] <jaheikki3> Target is to get the release out as soon as possible; let's see if that can still happen during August or not
[17:22:40] <carewolf> we have already made changes files for qtwebengine :)
[17:22:50] <thiago> when was the last 5.15 qt5.git integration?
[17:22:52] -*- thiago checks
[17:22:55] <jaheikki3> Yeah, I noticed that
[17:23:01] <jaheikki3> it was 6th August
[17:23:29] <thiago> 10 days
[17:23:30] <jaheikki3> it started to fail after 5.15 got some deprecations for Qt 6.0.0
[17:23:36] <thiago> so not too bad, but not good
[17:23:53] <thiago> I didn't know
[17:24:04] <thiago> I'll try a full rebuild here and see if I can hep
[17:24:06] <thiago> help
[17:24:11] <carewolf> what is not building?
[17:24:38] <jaheikki3> It is almost fixed now, only qtquicl3d had a problem with latest try
[17:24:39] <carewolf> oh well, can always just check the logs
[17:24:42] <carewolf> ok
[17:25:03] <jaheikki3> I think Andy Andy should have a fix already baking
[17:25:10] <thiago> well, rebuilding is a good idea anyway
[17:25:21] <jaheikki3> yeah
[17:25:22] <thiago> but I think I did a full rebuild about a week ago
[17:25:29] <thiago> did it includue qtquick3d...
[17:25:48] <carewolf> right, I rarely build qt3d, my endpoint is webengine
[17:25:50] <thiago> ah, no
[17:25:59] <jaheikki3> There were problems with qtdeclarative as well earlier
[17:26:04] <thiago> neither qtquick3d nor qtremoteobjects were built
[17:27:15] <jaheikki3> But as said after Andy's fix in in I am hoping it will finally succeed & we can proceed with branching etc
[17:27:33] <jaheikki3> Target is to get the release out as soon as possible; let's see if that can still happen during August or not
[17:28:27] <jaheikki3> It seems qt6 needs some care as well so producing 5.15.1 is quite slow currently
[17:29:10] <jaheikki3> That's all about 18.104.22.168 at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:29:36] <thiago> 5.15.1 needs to go out ASAP
[17:29:55] <jaheikki3> Yeah, i know
[17:32:16] <jaheikki3> This was all at this time. I have to go now so let's end this meeting & have new one tue 25th August at this same time as planned
[17:32:30] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:32:34] <carewolf> bye
[17:34:17] <thiago> bye, thank jani
More information about the Releasing