[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 22.09.2020

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Sep 23 07:06:16 CEST 2020

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 22nd September 2020

Qt 6.0 status:
- New snapshot published at the end of last week
- API review started, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86467
   * All help is welcome here!
- Alpha preparations ongoing
   * FF exceptions mostly done & all needed should be in during this week
- Plan for the Alpha:
   * Integrate missing changes for FF exceptions in
   * Fix remaining Alpha blockers (see https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22622)
   * Update submodules (with needed fixes in) for Qt 6.0 Alpha
   * Test packages 
   * Release Alpha
--> realistic plan for Alpha is next week; it will be really tight to get all done during this one. 

Qt 5.15.2:
- No official plans yet but we will most probably release Qt 5.15.2 before Qt 6.0 release
   * All effort needs to be focused to Qt6.0 now; Qt 5.15.2 planning will be done a bit later
- QStringView related API is missing from Qt5.15, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86516
   * Exception agreed to add it in Qt 5.15.2 to make porting from 5.15 to Qt 6.0 easier

Next meeting tue 29th September 2020 16:00 CET

Jani Heikkinen
Release Manager

irc log below:
[17:00:16] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: fregl: ablasche: ping
[17:00:25] <lars> pong
[17:00:43] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:01:35] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:01:47] <jaheikki3> On agenda today: Qt 6.0 status
[17:01:54] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:03:57] <jaheikki3> Ok, let's browse through Qt 6.0 status
[17:03:57] <peppe> Is 5.12.2 coming before 6.0?
[17:04:10] <peppe> (another agenda point, no worth discussing right away)
[17:04:37] <jaheikki3> Peppe: ok, let's discuss that after Qt6 status
[17:04:56] <jaheikki3> Now Qt6.0 status:
[17:05:09] <jaheikki3> New snapshot published at the end of last week
[17:05:43] <jaheikki3> API review is also ongoing, see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86467
[17:06:10] <jaheikki3> it seems all help is welcome here
[17:06:18] <lars> API review from my side has been going a bit slow, as I spent most of last week on my World Summit talks
[17:06:48] <lars> but I'll be working close to 100% on this for the rest of the week.
[17:07:14] <jaheikki3> great
[17:07:18] <jaheikki3> Alpha preparations are also ongoing
[17:07:54] <jaheikki3> lars: any update about those FF exceptions?
[17:08:31] <carewolf> I would prefer the normal gerrit diff to comment on
[17:08:35] <lars> jaheikki3: The only ones remaining are the pointer handlers and Q*Iterable handling.
[17:08:46] <carewolf> though I guess that could be noisy
[17:09:00] <lars> pointer handlers are done in qtbase, need one patch in declarative IIRC
[17:09:11] <lars> carewolf: there is a gerrit diff available
[17:09:38] <carewolf> ok, I guess I can find it then, I just didn't see it in the JIRA
[17:09:41] <peppe> when will 6.0 be branched off?
[17:09:51] <lars> Q*Iterable is also done in qtbase as far as I can tell.
[17:10:12] <lars> so only changes in declarative missing, I think we have a good chance to get those in during this week.
[17:10:21] -*- thiago hasn't seen the changes for QDeadlineTimer
[17:10:24] <thiago> has anyone?
[17:10:27] <thiago> I think Marcel sent them
[17:10:32] <lars> carewolf: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/312852
[17:10:46] <lars> you'll find the changes for the other modules from there
[17:11:35] <carewolf> thanks
[17:11:35] <lars> the API diff might need an update soon, maybe Eddy can create one towards the end of this week
[17:11:54] <jaheikki3> I can ask eddy to do that
[17:11:59] <lars> thanks
[17:12:21] <jaheikki3> peppe: We haven't decided that yet; we just agreed that we won't do that yet
[17:13:03] <jaheikki3> So it seems we should be ready for Alpha quite soon
[17:13:24] <jaheikki3> New round of submodule update is also ongoing
[17:13:44] <lars> yes. branching off now would only increase work and turn-around time, as we'd need to cherry-pick pretty much all changes from dev into 6.0
[17:14:30] <lars> we'll need to branch at some point, but that should be at a point where we start seeing less changes (esp. to the APIs)
[17:15:15] <jaheikki3> yes, I think that should be somewhere in beta phase when API is stabilized
[17:16:16] <jaheikki3> So plan for Alpha will be:
[17:16:35] <jaheikki3> Integrate missing changes for FF exceptions ( to declarative)
[17:17:02] <jaheikki3> Fix remaining Alpha blockers. blocker list here: https://bugreports.qt.io/issues/?filter=22622
[17:17:11] <jaheikki3> Update submodules (with needed fixes in) for Qt 6.0.0
[17:17:31] <jaheikki3> Create alpha packages, test those (mostly RTA) & release Alpha
[17:18:36] <jaheikki3> I think realistic plan for Alpha is next week; it will be relly tight to get all done during this one
[17:19:02] <jaheikki3> But it was all about Qt6 at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:20:26] <The-Compiler> "16:03 <peppe> Is 5.12.2 coming before 6.0?" - I assume you mean 5.15.2?
[17:22:05] <peppe> yes, sorry, 5.15.2
[17:22:23] <jaheikki3> yeah, that was what I expected
[17:23:21] <jaheikki3> And even we haven't officially planned that I think we need to release Qt 5.15.2 before Qt6. We haven't started the preparations yet; we need to put all effort in Qt6 at the moment
[17:23:40] <carewolf> I would say so. Perhaps a 5.15.3 right after qt6
[17:24:02] <carewolf> but a qt 5.15.2 in mid october is what I would expect
[17:25:08] <jaheikki3> something like that I would say but let's do concrete plans after a while when Qt6 alpha is out
[17:25:11] <lars> mid october sounds optimisitc given that we have an alpha/beta to release for Qt 6.
[17:25:29] <lars> but ideally not too much later neither
[17:26:05] <thiago> agreed
[17:26:28] <The-Compiler> FWIW I'd appreciate a rather quick 5.15.2, https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86752 makes QtWebEngine in .1 rather unusable :-/
[17:26:29] <thiago> the 5.15.1 update for Tumbleweed went smoothly
[17:26:41] <thiago> but there are a lot of fixes coming in, especially for me the QStringList in qcontainerfwd.h
[17:27:38] <lars> thiago: one bigger potential item for 5.15.2 might be https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86516
[17:28:22] <lars> we'll have to decide whether we want to make an exception to the branch policy to ease porting to 6.0
[17:29:31] <thiago> we did for 4.8
[17:30:01] <thiago> we can always bump the release number to 5.15.50
[17:32:12] <thiago> BTW, are there any new macos names we need in QOperatingSystemVersion?
[17:32:20] <thiago> or were they backported for 5.15.1?
[17:32:23] <jaheikki3> Heh,  I don't think playing with release numbers is necessary... Ease porting to Qt6.0 is good reason for exception
[17:33:12] <lars> bumping to 5.15.high_number is probably not a good idea, and I don't see a need for it.
[17:33:45] <lars> not sure, should be easy to find out :)
[17:33:59] <lars> but yes, macOS 11 should be there.
[17:34:45] <lars> yes, tor arne added Pick-To 5.15 5.12
[17:34:55] <thiago> yes, Tor Arne added to 5.15.1
[17:36:08] <thiago> also, all of QStringView changes would be inline
[17:36:16] <thiago> so it wouldn't affect BC
[17:36:31] <thiago> is someone working on the backport?
[17:38:05] <jaheikki3> I don't know. Lars: Do you?
[17:38:36] <lars> not right now. the easiest path to implement them would be to take a small performance hit and use QStringView::toInt() { return toString().toInt(); }
[17:39:08] <jaheikki3> Ok, I think we can stop here & check detailed Qt 5.15.2 plan later; we need to focus to Qt6.0 Alpha & beta now
[17:39:23] <lars> I can try to find someone for the backport, but I first wanted a decision before doing the work
[17:40:30] <lars> so if Thiago agrees, let's do it.
[17:41:39] <thiago> yep, that's fine
[17:41:48] <thiago> it doesn't have to be the best implementation
[17:41:49] <lars> thiago: ok, please leave a comment in the bug report
[17:41:54] <thiago> will do
[17:41:59] <lars> agree
[17:42:00] <lars> thanks
[17:42:02] <jaheikki3> Thanks
[17:42:37] <The-Compiler> Is there any update on the situation about open source QtWebEngine 5.15 updates after 6.0 (which doesn't include QtWE)?
[17:44:06] <thiago> carewolf:  ^^
[17:44:11] <carewolf> The-Compiler: QWE 5.15 will remain open source
[17:44:19] <thiago> I thought he planned on making simultaneous releases
[17:45:34] <carewolf> and will receive major updates in the qt 5.15 life time. The 5.15 branch post 5.15.1 is already based on a newer chromium
[17:46:24] <The-Compiler> awesome, thanks :)
[17:46:32] <jaheikki3> Ok, I think it was all at this time. Let's end this meeting now & have next one tue 29th September at this same time
[17:46:45] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:46:45] <thiago> thanks ani
[17:46:48] <thiago> jani
[17:46:50] <carewolf> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list