[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 20.04.2021
jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Apr 21 09:43:23 CEST 2021
Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 20th April 2021
- Branching from '6.1' to '6.1.0' done
- All known release blockers fixed and fixes in qt5.git
--> We will release Qt 6.1.0 RC later this week
- Release preparations started
* First snapshot created
* We will freeze release content at the beginning of next week
* Target is to get the release out at the end of April
- Release preparations started
* First snapshot already created
* Branching from '5.12' to '5.12.11' will happen at the beginning of May
* Release target 18th May
Qt 6.2 initial schedule:
- Proposal sent to dev ML a week ago, no objections
--> Initial schedule is:
* Feature Freeze 4th June 2021
* Alpha release 15th June 2021
* Beta1 release 6th July 2021
* RC 14th September 2021
* Final release 28th September 2021
Next meeting Tue 4th May 2021 16:00 CET
irc log below:
[17:00:22] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: ablasche: ping
[17:02:01] <thiago> jaheikki3: pong
[17:02:44] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:02:50] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:56] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.1.0 status
[17:03:03] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.0.4 status
[17:03:10] <jaheikki3> Qt 5.12.11 status
[17:03:17] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.2 initial schedule
[17:03:28] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:05:12] <jaheikki3> Let's start from Qt 6.1 status
[17:05:51] <jaheikki3> Branching from '6.1' to '6.1.0' done
[17:06:08] <jaheikki3> All known release blockers fixed and fixes are in qt5.git
[17:06:36] <jaheikki3> Package creation ongoing
[17:06:51] <thiago> has the c++0 char8_t fix made in?
[17:07:03] <jaheikki3> thiago: yes, it is in
[17:07:58] <jaheikki3> plan is to release rc later this week when all packages created and sanity checked
[17:08:07] <carewolf> I wonder if anybody ever fixed the problem with accessing bindably properties from different threads
[17:08:43] <jaheikki3> carewolf: Bug ID?
[17:08:56] <thiago> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/339943 isn't in..
[17:09:01] <carewolf> it came up as part of another bug. Seems worked on in 6.2
[17:09:43] <carewolf> Looks like it was thought about, so nevermind
[17:12:42] <jaheikki3> thiago: ? I thought you were talking about https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/343698
[17:13:01] <thiago> there are two
[17:13:07] <thiago> this is the other one
[17:13:59] <jaheikki3> I haven't known https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/339943 should be in. And it seems it isn't planned to be picked to 6.1.0
[17:14:15] <thiago> it was made before the branch
[17:14:35] <jaheikki3> Do we really need that one in .0 or can it be taken in 6.1.1?
[17:14:44] <carewolf> it is binary compatibility
[17:15:11] <carewolf> we need it. thiago can you update it with pick-to 6.1.0, then I will give it +2 since lars already gave it that before
[17:15:40] <thiago> done
[17:15:50] <carewolf> +2
[17:16:01] <thiago> jani: agreed?
[17:16:26] -*- thiago waits for jani before staging
[17:16:38] <jaheikki3> thiago: please move it in 6.1.0 and add pick-to: dev instead to speed-up the progress
[17:17:19] <thiago> good idea
[17:17:37] <thiago> carewolf: done, reapprove?
[17:17:52] <carewolf> done
[17:18:12] <thiago> "you don't have permissionn to submit"
[17:18:30] <jaheikki3> Staged
[17:19:13] <thiago> I'll watch it during the day
[17:19:59] <jaheikki3> Great. So that in the packages & RC out later this week
[17:20:19] <jaheikki3> That's all about 6.1.0 at this time. Any comments or questions?
[17:22:32] <jaheikki3> Ok, then quick qt 6.0.4 status:
[17:22:43] <jaheikki3> Release preparations started
[17:22:51] <jaheikki3> First snapshot created
[17:23:13] <jaheikki3> Targei is to freeze release content at the beginning of next week
[17:23:35] <jaheikki3> And target is to release Qt 6.0.4 at the end of April
[17:23:52] <jaheikki3> That's all about Qt 6.0.4 at this time. Any comments or questions?
[17:25:38] <jaheikki3> Next Qt 5.12.11 status
[17:25:54] <jaheikki3> Release preparations started
[17:26:05] <jaheikki3> First snapshot already created
[17:26:24] <jaheikki3> Branching from '5.12' to '5.12.11' will happen at the beginning of May
[17:26:53] <jaheikki3> Target is to release Qt 5.12.11 18th May 2021
[17:27:17] <jaheikki3> That's all about Qt 5.12.11 at this time. Any comments or questions?
[17:28:40] <akseli> sounds like a plan
[17:29:51] <jaheikki3> And then Qt 6.2.0 initial schedule
[17:30:19] <jaheikki3> Proposal sent to dev mailing list ~ a week ago (https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2021-April/041202.html)
[17:30:35] <jaheikki3> No objections so Qt 6.2.0 initial schedule will be:
[17:30:58] <jaheikki3> - Feature Freeze 4th June 2021
[17:30:58] <jaheikki3> - Alpha release 15th June 2021
[17:30:58] <jaheikki3> - Beta1 release 6th July 2021
[17:30:58] <jaheikki3> - RC 14th September 2021
[17:30:58] <jaheikki3> - Final release 28th September 2021
[17:31:12] <jaheikki3> Any comments or questions?
[17:31:50] <thiago> sounds good
[17:31:56] <thiago> long time, but over summer break
[17:32:26] <jaheikki3> Yeah, that's why it is a bit longer that usually
[17:32:30] <carewolf> it will be rough for qtwebengine, but we knew that
[17:32:36] <thiago> why?
[17:32:40] <thiago> how can we make it less rough?
[17:32:53] <carewolf> you can't porting to cmake just took way longer than expected
[17:33:13] <thiago> it won't build with just qmake?
[17:33:31] <carewolf> the qmake module code has been removed
[17:33:47] <carewolf> so then we would have to rebuild the config to work without qt module stuff
[17:34:33] <carewolf> anyway, it will be done
[17:35:10] <jaheikki3> Great
[17:35:10] <thiago> ah, right
[17:35:33] <thiago> can you lock alexandru in a room in the office and not let him work on anything else? wait... wfh
[17:35:40] <thiago> damn, that's why it's taking long :-)
[17:36:04] <carewolf> That was the original plan, but he was busy with other things :D
[17:36:18] <jaheikki3> :D
[17:36:25] <thiago> for 6.2, I want to see an effort to bring back the missing modules
[17:36:31] <thiago> multimedia and webengine especially
[17:36:34] <thiago> lots of people complaining
[17:37:42] <jaheikki3> yeah. I think all (or at least most of) those are under work and shoiuld be in Qt 6.2
[17:38:50] <carewolf> only thing not under work is qtwebview, because it waiting on qtwebengine
[17:39:02] <carewolf> but it should be easy once the dependencies are ready
[17:40:03] <jaheikki3> I think it was all at this time. I can't join tue 27th April so let's have next meeting tue 4th May at this time
[17:40:24] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:40:30] <carewolf> bye
[17:41:21] <thiago> bye
More information about the Releasing