[Releasing] Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting 01.06.2021

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Jun 2 08:01:56 CEST 2021

Meeting minutes from Qt Release Team meeting Tue 1st June 2021

Qt 6.1.1 status:
- 2 new release blockers reported -> Release delayed
   * We need to get fixes in, re-create packages & test those again
- Target is still to release Qt 6.1.1 during this week

Qt 6.2 status:
- Feature freeze will be in effect 4.6.2021
   * All new modules should be in qt5.git at that point
   * Exception granted for Qt webengine, Qt webview and Qt multimedia to complete remaining issues after feature freeze (if not ready at FF which is the target of course)
- Branching from 'dev' to '6.2' will happen mon 7th June 2021 (morning)
- Target is to release Alpha as soon as possible after the FF
   * Current target tue 15th June but let's hope we can get it out even earlier
- Qt 6.2 API review to be started immediately after FF and branching

Next meeting Tue 8th June 2021 16:00 CET in libera.chat #qt-releases

Jani Heikkinen
Release Manager

irc log below:
[17:00:33] <jaheikki3_> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: ablasche: ping
[17:00:47] <carewolf> pong
[17:01:15] <thiago> jaheikki3_: pong
[17:01:37] <jaheikki3_> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:01:47] <jaheikki3_> On agenda today:
[17:01:58] <jaheikki3_> Qt 5.12 LTS status
[17:02:02] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.1 status
[17:02:07] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.2 Status
[17:02:17] <jaheikki3_> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:07] <jaheikki3_> Ok, lets start from Qt 5.12 LTS status
[17:04:13] <jaheikki3_> Qt 5.12.11 released today
[17:05:03] <jaheikki3_> And target is to release Qt 5.12.12 at the end of november; just before end of support
[17:05:15] <carewolf> nice.. Though did it even get changes files?
[17:05:47] <jaheikki3_> carewolf: No, we did that new style release note instead
[17:06:11] <carewolf> ok.. then I guess we didn't add the chrome security patches to the list unless mibrunin did
[17:07:02] <jaheikki3_> carewolf: Actually no. But it is possible to edit the note afterwards as well
[17:07:22] <carewolf> right
[17:08:25] <mibrunin> ok
[17:09:23] <jaheikki3_> That's all about 5.12 LTS at this time. Then Qt 6.1 status
[17:09:38] <jaheikki3_> Qt 6.1.1 release preparations ongoing
[17:09:49] <jaheikki3_> Branching from '6.1' to '6.1.1' done today
[17:10:00] <jaheikki3_> Target is to freeze the release content later this week
[17:10:09] <jaheikki3_> Hoping that can happen already tomorrow eob
[17:10:27] <jaheikki3_> and target is to release Qt 6.1.1 31st May 2021
[17:10:47] <jaheikki3_> That's all about Qt 6.1 status at this time. Any comments or questions?
[17:11:10] <thiago> nothing from me
[17:11:46] <jaheikki3_> Ok, then Qt 6.2 status
[17:12:19] <jaheikki3_> Preparations for FF ongoing
[17:13:17] <jaheikki3_> Most of new modules already in qt5.git; only qtmultimedia, qtwebengine and qtwebview still missing
[17:13:54] <jaheikki3_> And adding those new modules in the snapshot ongoing; next one should contain most of those already
[17:14:05] <thiago> qtwebview depends on qtwebengine, so that one is not surprising
[17:14:14] <jaheikki3_> Yeah. 
[17:14:29] <carewolf> qtwebengine at least builds with cmake now
[17:14:30] <jaheikki3_> And qtwebengine has already cmake based ci in place
[17:14:35] <thiago> carewolf: can you give an update on what's left to do?
[17:14:46] <carewolf> trying to fix the dependencies and add it to qt5.git
[17:14:57] <carewolf> the biggest chunk is adding cross-building
[17:15:07] <carewolf> and macOS universal builds
[17:15:52] <thiago> what's "fix the dependencies' here?
[17:16:18] <carewolf> just that we needed to add them. https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwebengine/+/350868
[17:16:28] <carewolf> and fix API changes (for qtpositioning)
[17:16:40] <thiago> does it depend on qtmultimedia?
[17:16:47] <carewolf> no
[17:16:57] <carewolf> what is the status of qtmultimedia?
[17:17:24] <thiago> I'd like to know too
[17:17:47] <jaheikki3_> to be honest I am not fully up to date atm related to multimedia
[17:18:31] <jaheikki3_> But it isn't properly in cmake ci yet
[17:18:47] <jaheikki3_> and so on not in qt5.git either
[17:19:15] <jaheikki3_> I know that lars is working on it but the latest status is unknown
[17:19:18] <thiago> ok
[17:19:26] <carewolf> qtwebview is here https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwebview/+/349910, but needs finalizing now that qtwebengine is in
[17:20:05] <frkleint> Lars & Andre d R are working in QtMM, there is a origin/wip/qt6 branch. Windows works, ALSA is crashing...so, slowly coming along
[17:21:24] <jaheikki3_> Yeah, let's check in next weeks meeting what is the status then and agree how to proceed with FF etc. At that time we are already really close to FF...
[17:21:50] <thiago> we need to understand when they'll be ready for FF, if at all
[17:22:03] <jaheikki3_> yeah, true
[17:22:18] <thiago> I seriously suggest we postpone 6.2 release until qtmm is in. Whether that means postponing FF for everyone else is something we can discuss.
[17:23:19] <frkleint> lars: ^^ Is Qt MM ready for feature freeze in that sense?
[17:23:58] <thiago> doesn't look like he's around
[17:24:11] <jaheikki3_> yeah, that is an option to be discussed. I'll clarify the status for next meeting and try to get lars joining as well
[17:25:10] <jaheikki3_> That was all what I had from Qt 6.2 status at this time. Any more comments or questions?
[17:26:57] <jaheikki3_> Ok, let
[17:27:15] <jaheikki3_> 's end this meeting now & have new one tue 1st June at this same time
[17:27:27] <jaheikki3_> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:27:32] <carewolf> bye
[17:27:40] <frkleint> bye
[17:27:49] <thiago> bye
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to keskiviikko 26. toukokuuta 2021}
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to torstai 27. toukokuuta 2021}
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to perjantai 28. toukokuuta 2021}
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to lauantai 29. toukokuuta 2021}
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to sunnuntai 30. toukokuuta 2021}
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to maanantai 31. toukokuuta 2021}
[00:00:00] - {Day changed to tiistai 1. kesäkuuta 2021}
[17:00:10] <jaheikki3> akseli: iieklund: thiago: lars: frkleint: vladimir-m: ankokko: mapaaso:carewolf: ablasche: ping
[17:00:17] <lars> pong
[17:01:51] <jaheikki3> Time to start qt release team meeting
[17:01:55] <carewolf> will tpong
[17:02:08] <jaheikki3> On agenda today:
[17:02:12] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.1.1 status
[17:02:20] <jaheikki3> Qt 6.2 status
[17:02:28] <jaheikki3> Any additional item to the agenda?
[17:04:05] <jaheikki3> Ok, let's start from Qt 6.1.1 status:
[17:04:28] <The-Compiler> maybe moving those meetings to libera.chat, given that the rest of Qt mostly moved already?
[17:05:04] <The-Compiler> see https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2021-May/041515.html
[17:05:04] <jaheikki3> The-Compiler: Yeah, true. Let's discuss about that as well
[17:05:19] <lars> We should, but let's finish this one here, and move from next week I'd say.
[17:05:28] <jaheikki3> Agree
[17:05:46] <The-Compiler> yeah, not proposing to move mid-meeting, just to have that on the agenda for today :)
[17:07:03] <jaheikki3> thanks for reminding that. It is now discussed and agreed. I'll update meeting invitation and add the note in this channels topic as well
[17:07:12] <jaheikki3> But then the Qt 6.1.1 status
[17:07:43] <jaheikki3> We were planning to release Qt 6.1.1 tomorrow but unfortunately 2 new blockers reported today afternoon:
[17:08:07] <jaheikki3> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-94145 & https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-94144
[17:08:18] <jaheikki3> Fixes are already integrating
[17:09:05] <jaheikki3> After fixes are in we will do new dependency update round etc & do packages once again
[17:09:31] <jaheikki3> then testing and if all ok release Qt 6.1.1
[17:10:08] <jaheikki3> Target is still to get Qt 6.1.1 out during this week but let's see if that will happen. It should be possible but you newer know ;D
[17:10:28] <jaheikki3> But it was all about Qt 6.1.1 status. Any commemnts or questions?
[17:12:58] <jaheikki3> Ok, then Qt 6.2 status:
[17:13:22] <jaheikki3> Feature freeze will be in effect at the end of this week
[17:13:43] <jaheikki3> Remaining new modules shoiuld be in during this week
[17:14:00] <jaheikki3> webengine is already in qt5.git & packaging ongoing
[17:14:19] <jaheikki3> multimedia should be in as well
[17:14:28] <jaheikki3> as well as webview
[17:15:25] <carewolf> qtwebview isn't in afaik
[17:15:31] <carewolf> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwebview/+/349910
[17:16:24] <jaheikki3> carewolf: I meant to say it should be in early enough for FF; I haven't heard anything indicating it won't be in early enough
[17:16:43] <carewolf> right. patches are reviewed apparently
[17:17:33] <lars> Status on multimedia: wip/qt6 branch is merged into dev. Compile testing is enabled in CI. I'm working on enabling autotests as well currently.
[17:18:44] <lars> We do have some gaps where we'll need a FF exception for the module to finish off some rought corners on the APIs and backend implementation on Windows and Android. Linux, macOS and iOS are in good shape.
[17:19:39] <carewolf> with qtwebengine I am starting to doubt we will have universal builds on macOS ready. cross-builds on linux are also missing but progressing
[17:20:56] <jaheikki3> lars: do you think we can fix those webengine issues after the FF as well & so on keep the original FF schedule as planned?
[17:22:14] <lars> jaheikki3: carewolf: The issues are purely build system related?
[17:22:31] <lars> ie. is the API and implementation otherwise in shape?
[17:22:32] <carewolf> yes and cI
[17:22:59] <carewolf> lars: we are still working on last minute API updates that need to go into 6.2 and was waiting for cmake
[17:23:08] <lars> Then I'd say we can make an exception for that. It should be possible to enable the missing configurations in CI one by one, right?
[17:23:33] <lars> can't you do those API updates independent of the cmake changes?
[17:24:06] <carewolf> it was moving files between modules so it conflicted, but yes, we can
[17:24:18] <lars> let's get those in then.
[17:24:36] <carewolf> we are working on it :)
[17:24:49] <lars> Great :)
[17:24:54] <carewolf> problem is 6 hours CI turn around time
[17:25:32] <jaheikki3> Ok, luckily there is still few days before FF to get all these in
[17:25:54] <lars> yikes. I noticed today that CI is really slow. Had a 3 hour turnaround for Qt MM, without running tests and where compilation shouldn't take more than 10min.
[17:26:31] <lars> COIN shows 49 integrations currently running. That's quite a bit.
[17:26:33] <carewolf> for us it is just windows. Twice as long as linux 1.5h and both debug and release. Total of 5h
[17:27:11] <lars> can't we give those machines more CPUs?
[17:27:42] <carewolf> they are already 8 cores, but sure..
[17:27:53] <lars> (somewhat offtopic, but important if we want to get things done until Friday)
[17:28:08] <lars> or more RAM. not sure what's needed :)
[17:28:10] <carewolf> though changing the CI configuration has a tendency to cause downtime
[17:28:16] <lars> sigh
[17:29:19] <jaheikki3> Most probably yes. We will try to minimize other builds as well. Maybe we could do dependency updates in 6.1 more rarely etc
[17:30:00] <jaheikki3> But related to original topic: based on discussion above let's have Qt 6.2 feature freeze at the end of this week as planned with exceptions for qtwebengine and qtmultimedia
[17:30:05] <lars> we could probably simply not do them during this week at least.
[17:30:26] <lars> would be ok for me. what about webview?
[17:30:32] <jaheikki3> lars: I'll ask daniel to stop those for this week
[17:30:51] <lars> great, that should help.
[17:30:58] <carewolf> webview should hopefully integrate soon
[17:31:18] <lars> ok, and that's the only issue there. The module is good to go otherwise?
[17:31:20] <carewolf> I will ask michal who was working on it, all his patches have +2 already
[17:31:42] <carewolf> I think so, just needed updated webengine API, otherwise no work has been done on it
[17:32:18] <carewolf> well, some generic qt6 work was done. I did some search and replace and fixed todo a few months ago 
[17:33:42] <jaheikki3> If webview is delayed let's give an exception to it as well. Ok?
[17:33:53] <carewolf> +1
[17:34:17] <lars> ok, but let's aim to get it done in time.
[17:34:21] <jaheikki3> agree
[17:34:25] <carewolf> agreed
[17:35:23] <jaheikki3> And I was planning to branch 6.2 from dev on monday morning
[17:36:19] <carewolf> ok
[17:36:28] <jaheikki3> So on theory there is a bit more time to finalize stuff for FF; I think I'll announce FF and branching at same time
[17:37:13] <jaheikki3> Target is to release Alpha as soon as possible after the FF
[17:37:31] <lars> will we have binaries for the alpha?
[17:37:54] <jaheikki3> Yes, that is the target even binaries aren't officially required for Alpha
[17:37:58] <jaheikki3> Current target tue 15th June but let's hope we can get it out even earlier
[17:39:11] <jaheikki3> related to API review: Usually it has been started after alpha release but I think we should start it immediately after FF and branching to make sure we can complete it before summer holidays
[17:40:57] <lars> Agree. No point delaying that work
[17:41:15] <jaheikki3> great. This was all at this time
[17:41:40] <carewolf> and next time on libera?
[17:41:55] <lars> guess that's the plan ;-)
[17:41:57] <jaheikki3> Yes,  Lets end this meeting now & have new one tue 8th June at this same time in  libera.chat # qt-releases
[17:42:00] <carewolf> be careful mentioning it in the title though, they just delete channels that do that
[17:42:26] <jaheikki3> Ahh, OK. Then I didn't mention that there :D
[17:42:44] <jaheikki3> Thanks for your participation, bye!
[17:42:48] <carewolf> we already lost a few channels that way :D
[17:42:57] <jaheikki3> :D Nice to know
[17:44:01] <carewolf> bye

More information about the Releasing mailing list