[Web] Qt-project.org documentation format and style

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 11:03:34 CEST 2013

On 6 June 2013 14:32, Aleksander Śmierciak
<aleksander.smierciak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have created a topic on Qt-project.org forums concerning the
> documentation format for the consecutive Qt versions:
> http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/28532/
> and was directed here, to the Qt-project.org Web mailing list.
>
> In short, my question is who and how decides on the documentation format
> on the Qt-project.org webpage? I found some traits of previous Qt
> versions docs interesting and providing better readability (such as
> class members and methods in a table, with folding and hyperlinks to
> source code in version 4.7). Is this a matter of decisions in a close
> inner group or is it possible for the public to influence it?
>
> I know this is only my opinion, but I can also imagine that other people
> might think the same - just wanted to do a check-up on possibilities.

I clearly remember when that "new format" was shipped for 4.8 docs and
caused an uproar, so the format was reverted to the old one.  While
probably more nice to see, the new format has a bunch of (so far)
unresolved issues:
 - it relies on a ton JS code which slows down page loading
 - it makes users unable to use CTRL+F to search in the page contents
 - probably something else I forgot ...

HTH,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo