[Accessibility] How do you run QT / QT Apps with a Screen Reader and Valgrind

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at theqtcompany.com
Tue Feb 17 11:18:16 CET 2015

Hi Steve,

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 09:49:10 AM Steve C wrote:
> In digging around within QT, I've stumbled across a lock-up scenario that
> only exhibits itself when NVDA is running (bug reported).  Stepping through
> the code, it looks like a response to a get attributes is being corrupted,
> and looking at the code, I can't see where / how - in fact, if I step
> through the code, it doesn't get corrupted!

Debuggers interfere with the program run, for example when a pointer is not 0-
initialized, you may get invalid data, but debuggers often set memory to 0.

> I'm imagining that it is caused by a memory leak elsewhere.
Leaks show as increased memory consumption, not crashes.

> As far as I can read, valgrind and windows don't work together, and wine and
> NVDA don't work together.
No, I don't think this would work, running wine in valgrind won't work.

> My quesiton is: has anyone tried running a memory analyser with QT running
> alongside a windows screen reader?  if so, how?
I think all Windows memory analysis tools are expensive, so either you invest,
or you fall back to some other means of debugging. If you know the call that
triggers it reproducibly, then you can fall back to printf/qDebug debugging
without a debugger and narrow down where the crash happens.

Cheers,
Frederik