[Automotive] How can I contribute to neptune UI?

Nedim Hadzic nedim.hadzic at pelagicore.com
Wed Aug 10 12:43:00 CEST 2016

Hello Aras,

Nice to hear you have Neptune up and running!

As far as the documentation is concerned, we are missing a lot there in the
Neptune. Except couple READMEs, there is not that much documentation in the
project. It is something that we should focus more in the future.

Other replies inline.

On 9 August 2016 at 22:32, Aras Balali Moghaddam <arasbm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just managed to build and run neptuneui today and I am really liking
> what I see. I like to help wherever I can even if it is only documentation.
> I am just getting back to developing in C++ and learning QML. I used to be
> a javascript developer but I also have a background in user interaction and
> visualization. I have two general questions right now:
>
> * *where do you document neptuneui project?* Are there mockups, feature
> requests, user study results, block diagrams showing components of the
> software and their relations, etc.

As we dont have the documentation right now, so there is no place. Usually
the best place would be in the doc/ folder within the root folder. We have
some wireframes, general one, and assets. For the feature requests, we have
a JIRA, but for the others we dont have them right now.

> * *Is there a developer guide? *How can I build applications for
> neptuneui? How can I use qt creator to develop for neptune ui and how would
> I run my apps? How can I modify neptuneui itself?

For Neptune itself, no, but for the Application Manager (used for running
the Neptune) you can find here client/application elements documentation
https://doc.qt.io/QtApplicationManager/qml-elements-apps.html. You can use
the QtCreator with Neptune as any other Qt project. I thin that Application
Manager integration with QtCreator is not yet done, but in the meantime you
can use a custom executable option within the QtCreator (you can find
something here http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-run-settings.html).

You can also check this video for the app development with QmlLive for the
Neptune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KooHmCH31s&feature=youtu.be

I know that I do not have a good understanding of how all the pieces in
> this project go together, that is why I am reaching out to see what I need
> to learn next.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards,

> Thank you!
> Aras

Nedim Hadzic