[Development] Qt Project Infrastructure Work

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 22:38:26 CET 2011

 Marcus spaketh:

> I attended the Qt Contributor Day in San Francisco [1], and talked a
> little about infrastructure for the Qt project. <snip, work on
> infrastructure>

<snip, started page:  https://wiki.qt-project.org/Infrastructure >

IMHO this is an excellent effort -- the current system seems well
thought-out, and is clearly a very positive asset for the Qt Project.  I'm
still "new" to it, though, and am not yet sure how to use tools like Gerrit
most effectively.

I added my name to the list, and would like to help (all tools parts, but
especially CI and static analysis).  For example, I would be interested in
helping author tools that generate an automatic "static analysis report"
from a check-in, like metrics associated with the severity of the
change/modification, complexity metrics, etc.

For example, a continuous integration system would generate "red/green"
reports from compiling, and possibly "pass/fail" reports from functionality
tests.  In contrast, a "static analysis" report (automatically) generated
from check-in can generate a "size-and-scope-and-complexity" report for the
benefit of the reviewers to understand the possible magnitude of the
change, and ideally, static analysis could help the author "watch-his-back"
regarding adherence to project coding conventions, and eventually, possible
logical pitfalls (such as through static branch analysis, etc.)

I'm quite aware of how imperfect metrics can be, but if they are
automatic-and-free, we can eventually find those numbers that prove useful
to the Qt Project for its own measure of health-and-maintenance.

--charley