[Development] Call for Volunteers: SSO-improvements for qt-project.org

Jeff Mitchell qt at jefferai.org
Wed Dec 7 02:28:26 CET 2011

On 12/6/2011 12:57 PM, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> to avoid user account fragmentation, we implemented an Single Sign On
> (SSO) scheme (almost) from the start that 'works' across all the
> important qt-project.org sites we have so far:
>
> - codereview.qt-project.org (Gerrit)
> - wiki.qt-project.org (MediaWiki)
> - bugreports.qt.nokia.com (Jira, which is going to move to
> qt-project.org eventually)
>
> The SSO scheme is based on Atlassian Crowd, a SSO solution that offers
> connectors for a lot of web applications. Unfortunately, there are no
> working connectors for either MediaWiki nor Gerrit. Obviously, Jira
> works just fine. However, Codereview requires a login, and while the
> login is optional for the wiki (https only, http allows read-only
> access), it's confusing. The details are outlined in
> https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTWEBSITE-326.

<snip>

At Qt Contributor Day in SF I talked to Alexandra Leisse about
MediaWiki. Specifically, she hates MediaWiki, and I suggested moving to
Confluence, as it's a much, much, much, much nicer wiki than MediaWiki,
and doing it soon before lots of content made migration more difficult.
This would also take care of the SSI problem, as well as the SSO
problem, between the wiki and the bug reports, and enable nice
integration between the two.

I'm not just suggesting it; I'm volunteering. One of the main things I
think I can do to help out the Qt project is do sysadmin (I'm a KDE
sysadmin, and I do sysadmin things at work too, and I've set up the
majority of the Atlassian tools there complete with Crowd for SSO).
However, Alexandra hasn't yet pointed me to the right person to talk to.

Right person, get in touch with me, please.

--Jeff