[Development] QTextControl and QLineControl

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Fri Nov 4 13:20:17 CET 2011

Hi Andrew,

On 11/4/11 9:39 AM, "ext andrew.den-exter at nokia.com"
<andrew.den-exter at nokia.com> wrote:

>Sometime during the refactor QTextEdit and QLineEdit acquired their own
>copies of these classes leaving QtDeclarative as the only user of this
>private API that I'm aware of.

Yes, that was required to get the library split done. I tried splitting
the text/linecontrol classes into a base and derived class, but in the end
decided that the risk for regressions wouldn't be worth it. So now we have
two classes for them.

> Coordinating bug fixes that required patches to one of these classes in
>qtbase and and TextInput or TextEdit in qtdeclarative was an acceptable
>complication when it was a shared code base, if it's not shared then we
>have unnecessary  maintenance overhead in and we're essentially
>circumventing CI for these classes as the only tests are in the
>qtdeclarative repo.

This is true, and I don't think the controls will be used in QtGui
directly in the future.

>So my question is, is there some plan for these classes that justifies
>keeping them in qtbase or can I move them to qtdeclarative where they'd
>be more maintainable?

Sounds ok from my perspective. It would also allow us to further optimize
and adjust the classes to the use cases we have there. One thing to
remember though is that in many cases we should apply bug fixes to both
these classes and the ones in QtWidgets.

Cheers,
Lars