[Development] Qt Essentials

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 2 14:26:20 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 2 de agosto de 2012 12.02.45, lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> as one of the first consequences of the situation in Brisbane, I'd like to
> do some changes to our list of essential modules. You can see the current
> list at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-Essentials-Modules .
>
> I intend to move both Qt 3D and Qt Location out of the essentials list and
> make them add-ons for now. They are fully usable as-is today, but with the
> situation down-under I am currently unsure how well we can maintain and
> develop them going forward. If things turn out well, we can still move them
> into the Essentials list in a 5.1 or 5.x release.
>
> In addition, I will also remove Qt JS Backend from the list of essentials.
> While the library is a requirement for the QtQml module, it doesn't provide
> any public API and as such is a pure implementation detail on which I
> currently don't want to give any long term guarantees.

I agree on the JS Backend case.

For 3D and Location, I have a feeling it's a little premature, but I can't
blame you for it. Especially in Location's case, with lots of plugins to be
kept in working order, it might be tricky in the current situation.

Qt3D might be quite mature, actually, since it's been around for longer and
has no platform-specific dependencies other than OpenGL.