[Development] The final mile

Hausmann Simon Simon.Hausmann at digia.com
Sun Dec 2 13:27:18 CET 2012

Hi,

I can try to add some clarifications.

In beta2 we did the most developer-visible change with reards to the WebKit
library split by simply renaming QtWebKit to QtWebKitWidgets, which affects
.pro files and #include statements that use the module syntax.

Now we implemented a split for real, where we do have two Qt 5 C++ modules,
QtWebKit and QtWebKitWidgets. Classes like QWebView, QWebPage and
QGraphicsWebView that have intricate ties to classes from QtWidgets
consequently do live in QtWebKitWidgets and their dependencies to WebCore
internals are channeled through private API that QtWebKit exports. The QtWebKit C++ API
also provides classes that do not have any ties to QtWidgets but do indeed heavily
rely on WebCore internals, such as QWebElement or QWebSettings. These classes now
_remain_ in the QtWebKit C++ module.

It is our intention to make it so that when you write

    QT += webkitwidgets

in your .pro file, then it should imply QT += webkit, in order to maximize
source compatibility against Qt 4. This relies on people using #include
<qwebelement.h> or #include <QWebElement> instead of the module syntax, but
quite frankly I don't see any point in people using the module syntax in their
applications anyway.

Now it seems that on Linux and Windows this automatic dependency seems to work,
but it does seem to break down on Mac O X with frameworks. That at least would
explain the build failure in Qt Creator where the inclusion was #include <QWebSettings>
and the .pro file said QT += webkitwidgets but a QT += webkit was necessary to
fix the build.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make this automatic dependency also work
with Mac OS X frameworks or the way we create them in Qt?

Simon