[Development] qt-jambi-interest at qt.nokia.com

Tue Dec 4 02:07:48 CET 2012

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 3 de dezembro de 2012 16.47.09, Darryl Miles wrote:
>> what kind of assurances might there be that this same scenario doesn't
>> happen again ?  This seems a pertinent question to ask, particularly if
>> some of the same hands are managing the new location as did the old.
>
> There isn't. In fact, there's a very likely guarantee that this problem will
> happen again if the list needs to be moved.
>
> Subscriber lists are under strict privacy rules and the Qt Project will not be
> allowed to share those lists with anyone else, unless we added a checkbox for
> people to select whether they'd like their addresses to be shared. This
> checkbox needs to be unchecked by default according to European (digital)
> privacy guidelines.

I understand this point in respect to the old list
qt-jambi-interest at qt-project.org.

I understand in respect of users signing up to a new list.  So the
question I need to decide is which legal entity is the user who is
subscribing providing the information to (this becomes the entity with
ultimate legal responsibility for the "personal" data consisting of
their email address and optionally their name).

Then after that the terms under which the subscriber is signing up, i.e.
it can be clarified that they are also consenting to allow the entity
with ultimate legal responsibility to delegate the operational matter of
the list to another legal entity at their discretion.  Furthermore that
due to the nature of what a mailing-list is they are also consenting to
having the details collected during signup to be distributed to the
others on the list as well as their respective email system providers
used for transit of the message.

There will of course be provisions for double opt-in to join and to
opt-out at any time.

However what is unclear is the provision for the right to have all
records and details of a person deleted from the system if that person
demands that action.  This would rule out email archives that did not
perform an expunge of history, replies and quotations, unless of course
those archives were operated and run from a legal entity outside the
scope of this requirement.  Maybe just have another legal entity that is
merely a subscriber to the list manage the archives and maybe clarify
further in the terms that again due to the nature of what a mailing-list
is the legal entity with ultimate responsibility (for the inputted
"personal" data) has no way to expunge or control the republishing of
data in sympathy with the users usage of the list.

Checkboxes are a minor matter so that counts as a solution, i.e. the
value proposition of subscribing up to the list (to be able to address
it with an email) far outweighs not signing up and not being able to ask
a question.

So far my recent attempt make contact via email to legal at qt-project.org
has gone unreplied and unacknowledged.  Which is why I'd like to know
the name of the contact and/or place a call to the department.  (wasn't
this explained in the original email)

One of the questions posed in my 22-Oct-2012 email did ask about
continued mailing-list robot hosted at lists.qt.nokia.com.

>>> I also think we should migrate the jambi repositories from gitorious over
>>> to qt-project.org.
>> If this is a serious suggestion you should definitely get
>> legal at qt-project.org to get in contact so this can be discussed and
>> worked on so it can be setup as a goal we can work towards, because
>> right now this is not a goal due to lack of dialog; as potentially
>> blocking matters exist that need to be resolved.
>
> Why does the legal contact need to be involved with this?

So there is an awareness of what the Qt Jambi project is to both parties
and how the Qt Jambi project operates.  For example contributions have
not been governed by any CLA for some time.

There is the aspect that Nokia still owns and retain the qtjambi.org
domain name and it does not seem to have been part of any asset transfer
this causes a problem in the very naming of the project as Java naming
is largely based on a namespace model tied back to DNS.
So the subject of renaming the project to side-step this issue has come
up and there does not seem to be any major objection to a rename from
those folks involved in the day-to-day active management of the Qt Jambi
project.

There is also a matter of trademark questions concerning Qt Jambi (it
has been written in information/documentation that some aspect of the
name may have a trademark claim).  It could of course also have been
advance thinking or a misunderstanding or typographical error.

There is a pending/schedule change to the Copyright plates to better
explain and describe the nature of the project as being a derivative and
fork of the original Trolltech work that has selected to retain GPL/LGPL
in source code and publish LGPL only binaries.

There is also the angle on continuing to use trolltech.com references
within the code base, I see there is a QTBUG about stopping doing that
in Qt, is there a legal basis this needs to be done ?

Aspects of closing off and moving to emeritus status a number of dormant
gitorious Qt Jambi project admin accounts. This would also lead into the
cleaning up of the other gitorious matters.

I think these are the main points at the top of the pile.

Darryl