[Development] QAction-like API for QML

Shawn Rutledge shawn.rutledge at digia.com
Tue Dec 11 15:26:29 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:39:26AM +0000, Davet Jacques wrote:
> Shawn Rutledge <shawn.rutledge at digia.com>:
> > On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 07:39:36PM -0800, Alan Alpert wrote:
> >> Note that it has no-where near as many properties as QAction. toolTip
> >> and whatsThis for example are very desktop centric so not needed
> >> anymore. Because it's not actually doing the rendering it doesn't need
> >> enabled, visible or font. As for the rest I think it's better to start
> >
> > Well as you pointed out at the beginning, action objects will be used for
> > desktop apps too.  So maybe the tooltip is still useful.
>
> Why not give it generic "description" and "helpText" fields?
>
> Current desktop apps can show "description" in tooltips and "helpText" using the What's This feature.
> Current mobile apps can simply ignore them.

Yes, but as I pointed out later in that message, properties which are
not needed on every platform could just as well be completely optional;
maybe just add them as dynamic properties, since every object can have those,
rather than adding separate properties in the C++ implementation which
will be frequently left empty.

But we still should document all of the action properties we can think of,
to encourage compatibility between component sets.  We don't want to have
some future phone or tablet using the same named properties in incompatible ways.