[Development] [Qt-creator] gerrit-speak

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Fri Dec 14 09:30:50 CET 2012

Oh well, if you already feel offended by this phrasing, I guess you should get a thicker skin ... we've people from very different cultures and with varying English language skills in the community, so you should just take things with a pinch of salt in general.

Anyway, the sentence is from the upstream gerrit project, and it actually describes pretty good what it means, technically:

"you shouldn't submit this" - I don't think this is ready to go in as it is.
"I would prefer" -  ..but at the same time this isn't a veto, so if another approver thinks differently (with reasons), please go ahead.

If anyone things there are better ways to formulate exactly this, I suggest bringing it up in the gerrit forums.

There's a point though that a lot of people (including me) are using -1 for 'this requires more work', and -2 for 'the patch, or target branch is just wrong, please abandon'. So if the intention of the patch is fine in general, but contains some errors, I myself tend to give -1, though it should maybe be a -2. Anyway, I think everyone giving a -1 or -2 should put an explanation in the comments which explains things, so I haven't yet perceived this as a real issue.

Regards

Kai