[Development] Status of ActiveQt module?

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Wed Feb 1 09:47:13 CET 2012

On Wednesday 01 February 2012 07:11:20 Kent Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone care about the ActiveQt module for Qt5?
>
> A problem with this module is that it doesn't have any autotests. I can
> run some on the examples, but I don't really know what they're supposed
> to do, or how to use them to exercise relevant codepaths.

If there is no maintainer, we could as well not release with Qt 5.0.

Maybe there is still some paying customer that uses it. So if someone should
care, it should probably be Digia. (but they do not seem currently much
interrested in Qt 5.0. And the customers using ActiveQt are not the one that
are typicly going to switch to Qt 5.0 immediatly, I think)

> The main reason I'm asking is because ActiveQt has code to generate
> meta-objects at runtime, but the meta-object version it generates is
> old. For Qt5 it would be good to get rid of support for "Qt4"
> meta-objects (revisions <= 6), but this necessitates that we update
> existing "homegrown" meta-object generators to generate the latest and
> greatest version (will be 7 initially for Qt5).
>
> ActiveQt could be ported to use QMetaObjectBuilder to generate the
> meta-object, but that's a non-trivial refactoring that scares me due to
> the lack of autotests. Or, the ActiveQt meta-object generator could be
> patched to generate a newer version -- a much smaller change. But that
> means we have to do that every time the QtCore (moc) revision is bumped
> in the future (which won't be terribly often, but it's still a hassle,
> especially in the case of ActiveQt which looks to be ... inactive at the
> moment).

Facts:
1) QMetaObjectBuilder is private, its API may still change from minor version
to minor version
2) Qt maintain binary compatibility, so metaobject generated from old version
of moc must still work for all the Qt 5.x series.  Meaning in theory you are
fine sticking with revision 7 for all the Qt 5.x time frame.