[Development] QT Accessibility

jan-arve.saether at nokia.com jan-arve.saether at nokia.com
Mon Feb 20 10:17:19 CET 2012

Hi Sean.

We would be very happy with help from visually impaired people, in terms of code contribution, bug reports or just general feedback.

Both Qt4 and Qt5 codebases needs help, but the Qt 4 codebase works only for widgets, while the Qt 5 codebase should work for both widgets and QML items.

You can of course choose yourself where to contribute, but my suggestion is that if you want to improve accessibility for widgets, you can contribute to Qt4 (and then, if applicable we'll forward-port it to Qt5).
If you care more about QML Items, I suggest you start to look at Qt5 codebase. (The Qt5 accessibility codebase has recently gone through a major overhaul, so it is missing some nuts and bolts for making QML accessible though).

We're also in the progress of adding IAccessible2 support for Windows. This works for the basic interfaces, but it's not implemented for AccessibleTable and some others:
http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,15385

These are the people in Nokia working on accessibility for Qt:
Morten Sorvig (Mac)
    email: morten.sorvig at nokia.com
Frederik Gladhorn (Linux)
    email: frederik.gladhorn at nokia.com