[Development] My Android QhrisTma5 wish list.

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 18:39:55 CET 2012

Hi,

>>   - Menus, on android the menu bar is completely different from other
> platforms
>>  , it is always hidden, and to make it visible the user must press the menu
>>  button. Currently there is no way to do it, because QMenuBar is a widget
> and
>>  even more is part of your application window.
>
> Good news here, Qt 5 will soon have a MenuBar/Menu/MenuItem API that platforms
> can implement to "take over" menu handling. Currently we only have
> desktop platforms on the implementors list, so adding a mobile platform to the
> mix would be great to ensure we get a good API.

Great, I'll begin the port ASAP ! Currently only Qt 4.x is done :)

>>   - QMake build system. Android supports more than one platform bundled into
>>  your application package (currently they are three platforms), android
> build
>>  system compiles this platforms at once, sadly qmake build system
> doesn't
>>  support this feature. QMake is ok for most of the platforms out there but
> for
>>  Android it needs more love. Somebody blogged about a new  build system [1],
>>  and I must confess that I was very impressed by the approach, but sadly,
> two
>>  years latter, nothing happened ... This is a very important feature for
> this
>>  port, without it we can never say we have a *complete* port for Android.
>
> I've seen this problem before, for Qt 4 we did some configure script work to
> allow compiling for 32/64-bit ppc/x86 on Mac OS X (with the help of apple-gcc,
> which can produce binaries for several targets simultaneously.)

  I don't really know how apple-gcc works, but for android I think is a little bit
different because gcc it can't produce binaries for several targets simultaneously.

> For Qt 5 I'm thinking that a better option is to set up multiple Qt builds
> and then create a deployment utility that can create the final package. Have you
> considered implementing something like this?

Yes, we already ship different Qt builds for this platforms, we still need to
create the deployment utility, but to be honest is not my favorite :)
Maybe it will be easy to create a new plugin for qtcreator and to use
androids build system :)

> Morten

Cheers,
BogDan.