[Development] Qt Contributors Summit: when and where

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Tue Jan 3 19:48:44 CET 2012

On 03/01/2012 12:25, ext Jonas M. Gastal wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2012 18:11:08 marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
> wrote:
>> On 03/01/2012 11:14, ext Quim Gil wrote:
>>> - When? There have been different opinions and the trend seems to
>>> be that it is better to do it after Qt 5 is released, otherwise
>>> people will be too stuck with bugfixing and pressure to release.
>>> But we can't do it in the middle of Summer holidays either. This
>>> would send us to late August - September. This is the critical
>>> point, all feedback is welcome.
>>
>> If we'd follow last year as a template, it would be Thursday June
>> 14th - Saturday June 16th.
>>
>> I have my doubts if doing it then or after summer matters much
>> time-wise. Everyone will always have plenty to do anyways.
>
> I think doing it after the release of Qt 5.0 could be good in the
> sense of giving the summit more focus, if we do it after we can use
> the summit as a forum to discuss the direction we want to take 5.1
> in. If the summit happens before 5.0 the focus will be split.

It would be well after the feature freeze anyways, so features discussed
at the summit would have to be targeted 5.1 anyways.

I think we need to get into a rhythm. The plan is to have Qt releases
pretty regularly; every 6 months or so. So, with that in mind, I think
we should aim to also keep the Contributor Summits also regular, and set
a month when we would want it to happen.
Personally, I think it would be good with releases before summer, not
after. So then a before summer summit could (/should?) coincide with an
actual release.

I like having the summit before the summer, since it might give
contributors not backed by a company the chance to work on fun and
important things during the summer, if they'd want to. (Schools out, and
they are looking fun projects!)

It could also be an important meeting for Google Summer of Code
candidates, for some face to face chat with the community before the
summer starts.

--
.marius