[Development] Qt Contributors Summit: when and where

Andre Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Jan 3 20:09:57 CET 2012

Op 3-1-2012 19:48, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com schreef:
> On 03/01/2012 12:25, ext Jonas M. Gastal wrote:
>> On Tuesday 03 January 2012 18:11:08 marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
>> wrote:
>>> If we'd follow last year as a template, it would be Thursday June
>>> 14th - Saturday June 16th.
>>>
>>> I have my doubts if doing it then or after summer matters much
>>> time-wise. Everyone will always have plenty to do anyways.
>> I think doing it after the release of Qt 5.0 could be good in the
>> sense of giving the summit more focus, if we do it after we can use
>> the summit as a forum to discuss the direction we want to take 5.1
>> in. If the summit happens before 5.0 the focus will be split.
> It would be well after the feature freeze anyways, so features discussed
> at the summit would have to be targeted 5.1 anyways.
>
> I think we need to get into a rhythm. The plan is to have Qt releases
> pretty regularly; every 6 months or so. So, with that in mind, I think
> we should aim to also keep the Contributor Summits also regular, and set
> a month when we would want it to happen.
> Personally, I think it would be good with releases before summer, not
> after. So then a before summer summit could (/should?) coincide with an
> actual release.
>
> I like having the summit before the summer, since it might give
> contributors not backed by a company the chance to work on fun and
> important things during the summer, if they'd want to. (Schools out, and
> they are looking fun projects!)
>
> It could also be an important meeting for Google Summer of Code
> candidates, for some face to face chat with the community before the
> summer starts.

I agree with the timing for another reason: doing it after summer would
put the event too close to the Qt DevDays. While that is a different
type of event, it is another venue where you meet your fellow Qt
developers. Last year, we also had contributor meetings during these
events. It would be useful to keep them a bit apart, unless you actually
put them back-to-back. I think that also makes it easier to get company
funding for trips to visit these events.

André