[Development] QLocale work

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Jan 18 01:42:26 CET 2012

Splitting up some related issues into separate emails to make it easier for
people to address.

Which ICU version to use?

The latest ICU version is 4.8.  See See http://site.icu-project.org/download
for detailed release notes.

OS X 10.6 shipped with ICU 4.0.

The earliest versios of major distro's to ship at least 4.0 are:

 * openSuse 11.1 shipped Dec 2008 with ICU 4.0
 * Fedora 10 shipped Nov 2008 with ICU 4.0
 * Ubuntu Lucid LTS shipped Apr 2010 with ICU 4.2
 * Debian Squeeze shipped Oct 2011 with ICU 4.4

Harmattan shipped with ICU 4.4, and Android 1.6 possibly used ICU 4.2.
Windows doesn't ship ICU so we get to choose.

So ICU 4.0 seems the minimum version to target, although we lose some nice API
and features as a result.  ICU 4.0 implements Unicode 5.1 and CLDR 1.6.

John.