[Development] QLocale work

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed Jan 18 12:17:48 CET 2012

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 00:42:26 John Layt wrote:
> Splitting up some related issues into separate emails to make it easier for
> people to address.
>
> Which ICU version to use?
>
> The latest ICU version is 4.8.  See See http://site.icu-project.org/download
> for detailed release notes.
>
> OS X 10.6 shipped with ICU 4.0.

Any idea what OSX 10.7 has?

> The earliest versios of major distro's to ship at least 4.0 are:
>
>  * openSuse 11.1 shipped Dec 2008 with ICU 4.0
>  * Fedora 10 shipped Nov 2008 with ICU 4.0
>  * Ubuntu Lucid LTS shipped Apr 2010 with ICU 4.2

Not really relevant imo. Why use bleeding edge Qt with an old distro.

Look to the future and what the latest has IMO. Ubuntu 12.04 has ICU 4.8:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libicu-dev

>  * Debian Squeeze shipped Oct 2011 with ICU 4.4
>
> Harmattan shipped with ICU 4.4, and Android 1.6 possibly used ICU 4.2.
> Windows doesn't ship ICU so we get to choose.
>
> So ICU 4.0 seems the minimum version to target, although we lose some nice
> API and features as a result.

What is lost that is relevant and when was it introduced?

If relevant stuff is in a later (already released) version, I see no reason
not to use it.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer