[Development] Let's discuss QPluginManager

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) artur.souza at openbossa.org
Fri Jan 20 19:38:04 CET 2012

Hello Mathias,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Mathias Hasselmann
<mathias at openismus.com> wrote:
> Qt nicely supports extending applications and libraries via plugins,
> still in my opinion one major building block is missing: Some reusable
> object which iterates the shared object files in relevant plugin folders
> and returns all instances implementing a given set of interfaces. This
> seems a pretty common task.
>
> Hope you still reading and got somewhat hooked. Also hope you agree we
> need something like QPluginManager, so let's discuss the feature set it
> should have:

+1. This is something that we implemented in our internal framework
for some apps. It's simple to be done (as you said, we just need to
agree on a simple and common API) and IMHO very needed :).

Another feature related to plugins that KDE implemented and I find it
very useful and "elegant" is KPluginFactory:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/entry/kdecore/util/kpluginfactory.h

Cheers!

Artur Duque de Souza
openBossa