[Development] Use make before you push and stage

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Wed Jan 25 09:55:06 CET 2012

On 1/25/12 9:32 AM, "ext bradley.hughes at nokia.com"
<bradley.hughes at nokia.com> wrote:

>Yesterday was a bit of a frustrating day. I had to stage a simple
>.pro-file change of mine 8, eight, times before it finally went in. All
>of the breakages throughout the day where build breakages. Many of them
>were in the autotests, but some where in the libraries themselves.
>
>My request is simple: make sure you've configured with the
>-developer-build, don't use -nomake if you're going to be pushing changes
>to Gerrit for review, and don't forget to use your make tool before
>pushing. You will save yourself and your fellow cuties alot of
>frustration.

Another hint: configure with -no-pch if you can afford it, otherwise you
might end up with missing includes causing breakage in the CI system. And
if you do larger refactorings or touch headers in a bigger way also try to
compile with -qtnamespace Foo (yes, I'm guilty of not doing this as well).

Cheers,
Lars