[Development] Use make before you push and stage

jiang.jiang at nokia.com jiang.jiang at nokia.com
Wed Jan 25 10:47:51 CET 2012

Hi,

On Jan 25, 2012, at 9:55 AM, ext lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
>> Yesterday was a bit of a frustrating day. I had to stage a simple
>> .pro-file change of mine 8, eight, times before it finally went in. All
>> of the breakages throughout the day where build breakages. Many of them
>> were in the autotests, but some where in the libraries themselves.
>>
>> My request is simple: make sure you've configured with the
>> -developer-build, don't use -nomake if you're going to be pushing changes
>> to Gerrit for review, and don't forget to use your make tool before
>> pushing. You will save yourself and your fellow cuties alot of
>> frustration.
>
> Another hint: configure with -no-pch if you can afford it, otherwise you
> might end up with missing includes causing breakage in the CI system. And
> if you do larger refactorings or touch headers in a bigger way also try to
> compile with -qtnamespace Foo (yes, I'm guilty of not doing this as well).

For somewhat big changes and refactor changes, it usually took many iterations
of compile/testing until they finally went in, because it's not always possible
for the developers to try all the different configurations on their development
machine. Would it make sense to setup a semi-final staging area to test that
kind of changes before we finally cherry-pick them to master? It should make
smaller changes integration smoother.

I have to apologize for broken integration several times myself, but I simply
don't have time/energy to maintain a Windows development machine. But I would
love to first cherry-pick my change into a testing area before trying to integrate
that into master.

- Jiang