[Development] Development Digest, Vol 4, Issue 94

wolfgang.beck at nokia.com wolfgang.beck at nokia.com
Mon Jan 30 01:08:35 CET 2012

Sorry, forgot the Subject

-----Original Message-----
From: Beck Wolfgang (Nokia-MP/Brisbane)
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 10:02 AM
To: development at qt-project.org
Cc: 'Craig.Scott at csiro.au'
Subject: RE: Development Digest, Vol 4, Issue 94

>Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 01:55:54 +1100
>From: <Craig.Scott at csiro.au>
>Subject: Re: [Development] Work on qDebug and friends
>To: <development at qt-project.org>

>Sorry for the lack of context (dealing with digest emails while on leave :-P ).

>With the talk about logging in this thread, is it of interest / scope to also have the associated classes support capturing the standard C/C++ streams? By this, I mean capturing whatever gets logged via std::cout or things like >printf()? I know this might not be of much interest to Qt purists, but it would be rather useful when you need to integrate with third party code and want to redirect all output. The trick is doing it on all platforms in a consistent >way (Windows really muddies the waters with its separation of GUI and console apps). This would not be something for Qt 5.0, but might be worth keeping in mind from an API point of view in case someone wants to do this >in a consistent way in future versions.

>--
>Dr Craig Scott
>Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS) Melbourne, Australia

Yes I think this should be in.
The category QLog should be in default the standard output.
If you define in your QLog  config file an output file the QLog will write the logs into this output file otherwise it will be std out.
Another point is that we want the QLog enabled and disabled without recompiling your code.
For instead a customer reports a problem and the developer needs to have more information.
The developer can send a QLog config file to the customer and ask the customer to send back the output file.
If there is no  QLog config file then no logging should be performed.

--

Wolfgang