[Development] Dropping QT_NO_STL (was: The future of QtAlgorithms)

João Abecasis joao.abecasis at nokia.com
Mon Jan 30 13:41:10 CET 2012

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Friday, 27 de January de 2012 16.14.03, João Abecasis wrote:
> > Thoughts? Comments?
>
> After thinking some more about this, my current thinking is:
>
>     drop the -no-stl support

For the record, I'm all for this [1]. That, however, is a bigger change
that deserves it's own discussion. Lars should have a say and I'd also
be interested in hearing what "QtCommercial" has to say -- if they have
an opinion, that is.

Some points for further consideration:

* Does that include everything in the standard library, or only the
inline template stuff?

Some things, like <iostream> (<locale>?) don't make a lot of sense for
us to use. Others like <thread> and <atomic> are interesting to at
least consider in the context of C++11. (<regex>?)

Do we need an explicit policy or is common sense sufficient?

* Do we allow standard library types in our interfaces/ABI?

In general, I would think not. Still most standard libraries keep their
ABIs stable for long periods of time such that it might not be a big
issue to allow *some* types to go in our ABI.

Cheers,

João

[1] See, e.g., http://codereview.qt-project.org/13994