[Development] No implementation hints in Qt Documentation

Pierre Vorhagen pvorhagen at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:18:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

I regularly find myself browsing and grep'ing through the source tree to
find the implementation of a given class, referenced in the Qt
Documentation. Of course, as a newbie to Qt internals, I don't yet
intuitively know where all the classes are located.

I find that the insight into the implementation of an API to be one of
the major strong points of open source frameworks, because it not only
gives a better understanding of how to use the function, it also helps
greatly in avoiding problems that become obvious once you see what lies
beneath. Although the docs are generally very helpful as is, and may be
enough for some programmers, I think it would be an addition of great
value to enable quicker access to implementations from the docs. This
could be done via a direct hyperlink to the implementation, I think
doxygen has such a feature, but I think that even a simple
path/to/the/implementation would already be a great thing. (In Java, for
instance, this is naturallly present with the java.util.path.to.package
scheme.)

This is something that integrates well with the open governance concept
too, as I think that there's still a considerable gap between users and
contributors of Qt. Maybe this is something to consider in order to
narrow it a little more.

Regards,

Pierre