[Development] The place of QML

Frank Hemer frank at hemer.org
Tue May 8 12:08:38 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 08 May 2012 09:50:16 Peter Kuemmel wrote:
> > > Now we suddenly have an easy to use, yet compulsory, Turing complete
> > > language with essentially no support from off-the-shelf tools.
> >
> > It's this "compulsory" part that I don't understand.
> > The current situation is that if you don't want to use
> > QML you don't use it.
>
> Does "don't use it" mean I should use QWidgets?
> But who wants to base a new project on a system which
> is officially called something that sounds like "obsolete"
> and "dead (no new features)"; I know the marketing calls this
> only "done".

+1 with a big '!'

> There is no smooth migration path for old-school Qt/C++ developers.

And I expect porting an application using QWidget & friens to become an qml
application will cause at least equal pain as porting a qt3 application to
qt4:-(

What I miss is the perspective for applications with long sales cycles (expect
this to be 10 to 15 years). Could we see a chance for a smooth migration
here ... like a qml replacement for QWidgets that do NOT imply a complete
redesing?

Having that said, I'm still convinced qml will have a gread future - its just
not a good signal to notice that longterm basic components like QWidget get
suddenly shot out of the dark, end up as 'done' and the replacement AFAIK
comes with a real heavy impact of redesign.

Frank