[Development] The place of QML

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Fri May 11 17:59:09 CEST 2012

Ben:

> For starters, there's already a foundation in place -
>    http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php.
> That Foundation has the right to license Qt under a "BSD-style
> license or under other open source licenses" regardless of
> any other licensing. ...

  No, there's no current right for KDE to distribute Qt under
  other terms (than LGPL 2.1 and GPL 3). What there is is an
  "escape clause" if "Nokia discontinue(s) the development
  of Qt". Summarized at the site you cited, it reads:

   "The Foundation has a license agreement with Nokia. This
    agreement ensures that the Qt will continue to be available
    under both the LGPL 2.1 and the GPL 3. Should Nokia discontinue
    the development of the Qt Free Edition under these licenses,
    then the Foundation has the right to release Qt under a BSD-
    style license or under other open source licenses. The
    agreement stays valid in case of a buy-out, a merger or
    bankruptcy."

  Now ask yourself how many millions of Euros could be
  spent at some future point litigating whether or not
  Nokia has "discontinued" the development of Qt. They
  could entirely stop work on QWidget but the QML work
  would probably prevent the triggering of the escape
  clause.

                           Atlant