[Development] The place of QML

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Sat May 12 22:21:47 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM, d3fault <d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com> wrote:
> And he also made note "you still will need you or someone to work on
> it". Exactly. Qt Commercial Sales (post-fork) will fund the 'someone
> working on it'.

I gather from this that you're proposing the idea of a fork. Stop
being an idiot.

Let me try explain: as you should already know, some of the work on Qt
is being funded by commercial licensees (via digia) to work on what
those commercial licensees want them to work on - already - _as a part
of the project you're proposing to abandon_. This has nothing to do
with Nokia.

Now, if they're already here, it clearly doesn't need a fork to enable
that to happen, as it's happening already. If someone (you, digia,
Paul McCartney for all I care) have work they want in Qt, then they're
free to push that forward - nobody will stop it, unless there is a
solid technical grounds for that.

A fork doesn't really gain you anything tangible you don't already
have, other than some 200-300 fewer people working on your fork,
meaning you don't have any of their years of Qt expertise in reviewing
your changes, plus the pains of having to run infrastructure (VCS
hosting, website, mailing lists, autotest infrastructure to prevent
regressions - across three major platforms at a minimum), make
releases, merge changes back in, develop and market new branding, etc.

> Disagree. Nokia focuses its resources on areas that benefit Nokia.
> That's how a business works.

You're correct that this is how business works: Nokia's business is
selling mobile devices (and services) - Digia's is in selling
consultancy. Digia has customers who pay them to work on features and
bugs that their customers need, Nokia does not.

> Lastly, a fork would hurt the Qt Project/Nokia/Digia the most. The
> fork could still PULL all of Qt Project/Nokia/Digia's work to
> itself...

A fork would only hurt this project if the majority of the effort was
behind the fork, and frankly, I don't think that's about to happen
nowdays.