[Development] The place of QML

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat May 12 22:23:33 CEST 2012

On sábado, 12 de maio de 2012 21.57.17, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On 05/12/2012 08:28 PM, d3fault wrote:
> > whereas the point I'm trying to make is that the Qt Project generates
> > *enough* money based purely on Commercial Sales (which mostly just
> > boil down to support anyways -- the LGPL is good enough for *most*
> > Commercial uses) to drive it's own development.
>
> Are you kidding here?

Doesn't matter whether he intended to be kidding or was being intentionally
wrong.

The fact is that he's WRONG and way off the mark.

The Qt sales revenue hasn't paid for Qt development for at least 3 years,
especially since the developers in Brisbane joined the Qt development (as
opposed to Qtopia before). It's just nowhere near enough. The Qt dev team
inside Nokia grew from ~50 people in 2008 to about 200 when I left one year
ago. In the mean time, Qtopia was halted and Qt itself was released as LGPL,
which certainly diminished the commercial sales.

And that's not to mention that Trolltech wasn't profitable before the
acquisition anyway. Trolltech was still at the stage of "invest more money
than current revenues to generate future revenues" of a company's lifetime.
Trolltech ASA was a public company, so the records are public.