[Development] UDS feedback

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Sat May 12 23:48:17 CEST 2012

On Saturday 12 May 2012 22:01:09 Sergio Ahumada Navea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 1. Qt SDK vs Ubuntu repo install - Currently, Qt SDK is a separate
> > download from Nokia website. Ubuntu packages creator and Qt. This
> > could cause confusion as to which to choose. I think the decision made
> > here was that this is not entirely solvable since Qt SDK contains much
> > more than creator and Qt (it has the sysroots and toolchains required
> > for the devices). Is it possible for us to bundle sysroots and
> > toolchains separately? That way, ubuntu repos can be the definitive
> > place to download creator and qt.
>
> Are you saying that I'll have to download Qt 5 for my Fedora 17 from an
> Ubuntu repository ? I think I didn't understand this point.

I beleive this was only related to Ubuntu user,
But you would have the same "problem" with every distribution. On Fedora, one
would typically download Qt from a fedora repository.
Each linux distribution will do its own package.

> > 2. Rename our qt5 tool binaries - the binary names of moc, uic, qmake
> > conflict in qt3 and qt4. Now with qt5, we will have another conflict.
> > Is it possible to rename all our tool binaries to be moc5, qmake5? Are
> > Qt4 qmake and Qt5 qmake completely compatible (I think not). Ossi,
> > comments?
>
> Why not to rename qmake (from Qt3 and Qt4) as qmake-qt3 and qmake-qt4
> respectively in the distribution ?

That is not a bad idea.
But this is leaving the problem to the distributions. Then all the
distributions will have to solve this problem again. And they might use
different ways, leading in inconsistencies accross distributions.
We probably would like to avoid fragmentation.

Another solution for moc and uic could be to move them to some libexec path
(as they are only supposed to be called by the build system)

> > 4. gerrit does not have a patch download system. For the moment, you
> > can use gitorious like
> > http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commit/f1ea4ed3d4b45b2eda0a695c61f743cec
> > c0644da?format=patch
> git fetch https://codereview.qt-project.org/p/qt/qtbase
> refs/changes/45/26045/1 && git format-patch -1 --stdout FETCH_HEAD
>
> You can get this link from the Web UI

If I understand the problem here, Ubuntu would like easy way to get patches
they can backport into their packages.

I think gerrit is not the tool for that, so i don't see that as an issue.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com