[Development] The place of QML

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Mon May 14 07:56:56 CEST 2012

>> You're correct that this is how business works: Nokia's business is
>> selling mobile devices (and services) - Digia's is in selling
>> consultancy. Digia has customers who pay them to work on features and
>> bugs that their customers need, Nokia does not.
>
>It is worth noting that Digia's interest is ONLY in selling
>consultancy. There is no R&D department at Digia. They do client work
>and also perform support for Qt through bugfixes etc.

Just very short comment to this part - Digia, Qt Commercial does also
quite significant R&D. Whereas we do have consulting, and support, we do
also our share of development. For example we are working in making sure
that Qt runs nicely on those platforms that are important to the
commercial customers. Some of these are well aligned with Qt Project, for
example Win, Mac, Linux, and some we work on our own or together with the
OS vendors (mainly embedded and real-time). We are also investing quite
much to the releasing and testing, which also benefits the whole Qt
ecosystem.

We do a hefty amount of error corrections, and contributions to create new
functionality. Digia has been an active participant in the Qt community
for well over 5 years. We have created various different solutions with
Qt, improved Qt in many platforms and created a hefty amount of code for
Qt 4 and Qt 5. We looked back into some numbers and calculated that in the
past few years Digia has done well over 3000 contributions to Qt and Qt
Mobility making Digia the biggest contributor to Qt after Nokia/Trolltech.

Yours,

Tuukka Turunen
Director, R&D
Digia, Qt Commercial