[Development] scenegraph performance on the Linux desktop

Donald Carr sirspudd at gmail.com
Tue May 15 02:33:55 CEST 2012

Guten tag,

I am seeing poor performance of scenegraph on a:

0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT200GL [NVIDIA
Quadro FX 3800] (rev a1)

using the 302.07 driver (Upgraded from 295 in trouble shooting this
issue). This is clearly using the XCB QPA backend, and does not appear
to manifest on other lower end GPU hardware I have access to.

I am not using Mesa which is everyone's go to first guess.

I am wondering:

1) if anyone else is witnessing this
2) if people are seeing fantastic performance against the Nvidia
binary blob, which Nvidia card they are using.

This is a simple example I am seeing this against:

https://github.com/capisce/motionblur

I am seeing around 2-3 fps with kwin composition enabled, around 30
fps with kwin composition disabled.
CPU usage of the app is consistently around 4% of a single core
(according to top)

It would interesting to gather a larger sample set of the afflicted hardware.

Cheers,
Donald

--
 °v°  Donald Carr

Cave canem, te necet lingendo
Chasing my own tail; hate to see me leave, love to watch me go