[Development] The place of QML

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 16 17:40:07 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2012 16.56.05, Robin Burchell wrote:
> That isn't how reality works. You cannot tell me (as a volunteer) what
> I ought to be spending my time on any more than I can tell you what
> color to paint your livingroom. My interests dictate what I invest my
> time into, not random people on the internet. As a developer working
> on Qt, I will probably keep users' interests in mind, but at the end
> of the day, it's still my decision.
>
> Now, these "consumers" might get lucky a lot of the time and find that
> what I consider fun usually matches up with what they desire from an
> application development framework, but there's no guarentee for that.
> If they want one, then they have to invest time or money into making
> it happen - there really is no such thing as a completely free lunch.

All that you said there is true, but incomplete for the context.

Even though the consumers cannot demand anything from volunteer contributors,
there is a an important overlap between what the consumers want and what the
contributors want to work on. Or, at the very least, there should be.

If we, as the contributors, do not pay attention to what our users want, we'll
produce a toolkit that no one wants to use. Therefore, it is in our best
interest to keep the users present and happy with the functionality. That's
the only way to ensure the long-term survival of the project.

But note also that the overlap is not 100% and will probably never be.
Sometimes, users want too much, or don't know exactly what they want. There
must be room for the contributors to exercise their imaginations and come up
with new, revolutionary solutions.

I firmly believe that QML is in that camp.