[Development] The place of QML

qtnext qtnext at gmail.com
Wed May 16 20:31:54 CEST 2012

I am using Qt since 12 years or more... I have done a lot of work using
qwidget, qgraphiscview, ....
I have done some small apps with qml to display media : it works very
well ... just the animation are a a litlle bit jerky and work not well
on very small computer ...
But now that Qt5 is here : the alpha seems very promising regarding
performance ... and I have started a new big desktop application and I
plan to use only Qml and it seems very promising .. I am sure that
Quick2 is the way for new desktop application : We only need Qt desktop
components, treeview, ... and it will rocks :)

Regarding user wishes : it's sure that we are not at the Trolltech old
good time and at the start of Qt Nokia : in old time, we were important
... there was poll to see what customer wants ..(I was a commercial
customer user and I have now switch to lgpl). Now when you are ok with
what's happen.. the only answer is :"ok, just do it"... time have
changed :(  but in fact, I trust what Qt developer thinks that it's good
or not... The only big question for me is "What is the Qt futur
regarding Nokia/Microsoft Relation, Nokia Meltemi or not ..."  What is
the commercial future that means that Nokia will continue to invest in
the future in Qt ... I know there is the joke of the fork ... just a
joke ... just try to imagine the resource you need to do "qml
scenegraph" that some people don't like ... you need taleantuous
developer to pay, infrastructure, ... it's not possible to do that as an
hobby open source project .... Fork means nothing without money...